A sync removed my latest modified login

Options
jhk
jhk
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Was using 7.9.9, and I wanted to sync this iMac from my iPhone. It did mostly it, but it lost completely my changed password for a site (and maybe some other stuff - I don't know) - which is still there in its original state. This is a real nuisance, as it did the same to the iPhone! I tried using a backup file from my other iMac, which I cannot access for a while. This brand new backup, was on a Carbon Copy Cloned HDD, so I copied that to the correct folder on the iMac I am using, but when I hit restore, it does not see that file at all!
I was using 7.9.9, but just reverted to 7.9.8 to see if it helped. It didn't.

1Password Version: 7.9.8 (and I
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Ventura 13.1
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hello @jhk! 👋

I'm sorry that you're not seeing items in the same state on all of your devices. Before digging deeper I wanted to mention that, with the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. I strongly encourage you to update to the latest and greatest version as soon as you have the chance.

How are you using 1Password 7? Are you using an older standalone vault synced using iCloud or Dropbox? Or do you have a 1Password account? If you do have an account then do you see all of your items in a correct state when you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app)?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• jhk
    jhk
    Community Member
    Options

I do have an account, but have always synced my computers and iPhones /iPads by wireless syncing. I cannot understand why I cannot simply restore from the _zip file I copied in from the backup of my other iMac. Is there a trick to let this iMac see that file?

• @jhk

If you've moved the file from another source, try completely quitting 1Password 7. Then open it again. That may help the backup show up. Here's how to quit 1Password completely using our helper in the menu bar.

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock
    4. Open your browser.
    • Please be careful to have a current backup or two of your known good state before over writing your current sync file.

I would encourage you to move to a 1Password membership. You can learn more at Get started with 1Password We may even have some offers that are applicable to you. I would encourage you to talk with my colleagues via email using support+forum@1password.com

• jhk
    jhk
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I have and pay for the membership! I am on the Individual Plan. It seems that I will soon have no option but to abandon my preference to only wirelessly sync my data on my own devices, and will have to use the cloud. Anyway, that is not my immediate problem.

Closing and re-opening made no difference.

I seem to have 962 items in my older backups on this iMac, and still have, according to the count in the restore window. However, the file name says says 456 items! As I have added at least two new logins, that seemed strange, but I may have removed others. The file name from my main machine (reading off CCC) has 513 items - and that has been the same, for a while, even though I know I added some new stuff in the last few days. The trouble is, that the wrong version is now the one synced with my phone. I tried changing the newer data to a .zip and expanding it - but it then asks for my keychain password in order to import. I have no idea what a "keychain password" for 1Password is. Moreover - and this is obviously what is wrong, I realised that the backups on the computer I made the changes on are now in the order of 12.4 MB, whereas the backup files on the iMac I'm currently on are only 3MB!!! That's really weird. They are only about 3 months apart! Minimal changes ..... I'm looking in my user Library/application support/1Password/backups - the same place on both machines. I doubt that Carbon Copy Cloner would alter the state of the files. You can now understand my difficulty. Could this be related to the vault structure being slightly different on each iMac? I can't check the other machine, as it's a long way away :-) I can see that I'm still on 1P v7 on the main iMac, and I had updated it to the latest version recently. Both are Intel iMacs, by the way, and are running Ventura. The newer iMac is a 2020 one - all solid state, whereas I'm currently on a 2017 iMac with a fusion drive. Would that affect file sizes?

• jhk
    jhk
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Hello. Do you have any answers for me - especially on the differences in the _zip file sizes on the 2 iMacs, and what is a "keychain password"?

• @jhk

Thank you for the reply. For help with older standalone vault backups and legacy WLAN sync, I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can take a look and advise further. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• jhk
    jhk
    Community Member
    Options

Will do :-)

• jhk
    jhk
    Community Member
    Options

Here is the number: For your reference, this is your support ID:

[#BZB-98867-971]

• jhk
    jhk
    Community Member
    Options

I've just found that it has also lost one of my most important passwords - and I can now see that it seems to lose data after a password has been modified, and the new one saved. This is really causing me difficulties, sadly.

• @jhk

Thank you for posting the Support ID. My colleague, who I see has already sent you an email, will be able to take a look at the issue more closely and advise further. Please continue the conversation over email. To prevent duplication of effort I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: BZB-98867-971

This discussion has been closed.