Password Generator without creating a new login or updating an item

Options
counteragent
counteragent
Community Member

Just a quick feature for creating a new password, similar to your web version at: https://1password.com/password-generator/, but built into 1password apps. I don't always need to create a new login or update an existing one. I would like to be able to simply generate a strong password and copy paste it where I need it. Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:password generator

Comments

• Hello @counteragent! πŸ‘‹

Thank you for the suggestion! I'd be happy to pass along your feedback to the product team, can you tell me little more about scenarios where you personally would generate a secure password that you then don't save in 1Password? This will help the team understand the need for such a feature.

In the meantime, 1Password in the browser has a password generator: Get to know 1Password in your browser

-Dave

• counteragent
    counteragent
    Community Member
    Options

I run a lot of web servers and sub servers (and ftp, mysql, etc.) on those and don't like saving them all in a bunch of individual 1password logins. Instead I generate passwords, save each them in a single master 1password item for the entire server, not each sub server. That way I'm not getting suggestions to use the passwords when I don't want that.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023
    Options

@counteragent

Would adding the other passwords as a custom field help? It sounds like you're saving the passwords in 1Password anyway so this would save you from having to copy and paste the passwords from a password generator in a different location:

You can add a password field and then use the password generator right from the custom field.

-Dave

• gottmarc
    gottmarc
    Community Member
    Options

Posted request for pw generator inside application, especially IOS, in 2021. Over time a lot of other members have requested the same.

Reviewing 1PW community post trails on topic & they always has same pattern; Member requests, 1PW Mod asks for details & scenario & confirms addition as an improvement.

As history is repeating itself could this eventually be realized within 1PW?

• @gottmarc

My colleagues and I on the support team collect everyone's use cases so that the product team can better understand the need for specific features. The more use cases that we collect and document the stronger the case that we can make to the product team for a specific feature that folks here are requesting. And the better that the product team understands the need for a specific feature the more ability they have to engineer novel new solutions/features that would work even better with those use cases.

I can confirm that my colleague passed along your request as well. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• gottmarc
    gottmarc
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    Ok, thanks thats understood. Topic is trending itβ€˜s way to realization.

• Thank you for being vocal about the features that you'd like to see added to 1Password. We appreciate the feedback. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.