To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Main PW lost

Options
donprosser
donprosser
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Memberships

I have my secret key but can’t access 1Password, the PW is not working.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password

Comments

• @donprosser

Please let us know more. What version of 1Password are you using? Are you using a membership? Have you recently restored your device using Time Machine, by chance?

• donprosser
    donprosser
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings. I just switched to version 8 with membership. Haven't restored anything.

• @donprosser

Are you using the same password you use to access 1Password.com to open the desktop/browser client? In previous version you might have been able to use a different password but with 1Password 8 the only password you can unlock is the same password you use to access 1Password.com. Does that help? Is this only on a single device?

• donprosser
    donprosser
    Community Member
    Options

argggh, not that confused me. :). Is it possible to see if my Version 8 has the same recovery key as version 7?

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

@donprosser

There is no recovery key you might be talking about the Secret Key which is 1/2 of the combination to your data. If you open 1Password 7 and press command and comma to access the preferences and then click the accounts tab you should see your account details listed (redacted) which will include the beginning portion of the Secret Key. Are you using the same Emergency Kit you used with 1Password 7? It should work provided that's the case. We might need to take a look at a diagnostics report to help sort any troubles. Would you be able to send us one? Here's how.

If you can access 1Password:

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password preferences will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

If you're unable to open the app the following instructions will help you locate our log files. Please send them over in lieu of the report:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
    3. Click Go to Folder.
    4. In the new pop-up window that appears paste:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

5. Press return on your keyboard.

6. Find the folder titled `logs' and right-click on it.
    7. Click Compress "logs".
    8. Attach the logs.zip file that is created to your reply.

Attach the diagnostics or log files to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: donprosser
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/139105/main-pw-lost#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• donprosser
    donprosser
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings. Unfortunately, the 1st method didn't work. Attached is a screenshot. I had to manually turn on the diagnostic tools.
    Can you tell me the protocol for the 2nd method on a MacBook?

• @donprosser

We've received your reply. Let's keep everything together to avoid confusion and broken conversations. One of the team will be with you as soon as possible. Thanks very much.

ref: CYG-56438-711

This discussion has been closed.