username taken during registration results in wrong username saved to 1Password

Options
zebdro
zebdro
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

when I sign up for a new site (i.e. runwayml.com), I'm asked to provide a new username and pw. I enter user1 and use the 1P extension to suggest a pw. When I submit, I'm told user1 is unavailable. I edit and resubmit with user2. 1P incorrectly saves user1 in the login for the site.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.3 (81003012)
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: 13.3.1 (22E261)
Browser:_ Arc (Chrome)
Referrer: forum-search:username taken during registration results in wrong username saved to 1Password

Comments

• Hi @zebdro

I did some testing on my end on runwayml.com and found that I was unable to recreate the behaviour you described.

• Are you running into this issue with other sites as well?
    • Can you send me a screenshot of when the issue occurs so I can see what you're seeing?
      • If you need help getting a screenshot, this guide will help you with the process: Take-a-Screenshot Once you have the image, make sure to remove or mask any private information, including your account password.

I look forward to hearing from you.

• zebdro
    zebdro
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, maybe it's my description that's falling short. 1P prompts to save the new site login info, and it does so. But the new site did not process the login due to an error: that username is unavailable. Then I choose another username and submit, and I am now registered. 1P saved the first version, the one with the username that was rejected and is incorrect. The new version, with the second username, is correct, but 1P isn't smart enough to ask to update.

Does that clarify? I want 1P to update to the latest attempt on a registration page—the successful one—not the first.

• steph.giles
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @zebdro,

Thank you for getting back to us. When this happens are you finding user2 is being saved into a new item?

When you amend the username and click 'Save in 1Password' at the top of the save dialog you can select if you are saving a new item or updating an existing item. These are the steps I have taken, can you let me know if the behaviour differs for you:

1. Go to the sign up form type in 'User1' click into the password field and choose the suggested password from the inline menu.
    2. Give the item a title, click save and try to submit the form.
    3. When the username is rejected change the username to 'User 2'
    4. Click on the 'Save in 1Password' prompt beneath the username field and update the item.

Are these the steps you are taking? Any detail to help us reproduce the issue you are seeing would be really helpful.

• zebdro
    zebdro
    Community Member
    Options

"When this happens, are you finding user2 is being saved into a new item?"
    No, 1P seems completely unaware that user2 was entered, and nothing for user2 is saved. Recall that this is on the same form submission, not a new visit to the site.
    "When you amend the username and click 'Save in 1Password' at the top of the save dialog, you can select if you are saving a new item or updating an existing item."
    When I amend the username, 1P fails to provide any prompt to save the new user.

Does this help clarify?

• Hi @zebdro,

I'm having a really hard time replicating this one, I think it would be useful if we could take a look if you would be able to send over a screen recording or if not maybe some screenshots to demonstrate what is happening?

If you would prefer to attach these to an email please send it to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.