I need help with setting Guest "permissions" ASAP. I don't want them to see passwords.

Options

I have a business account and have created a vault I want to share with a guest. Every time I uncheck the "view" box when setting guest permissions all the boxes get unchecked and I can't move forward. 1) How do I grant access to the logins for use without them being "visible"? 2) What permissions are most important if I just want them to be able to utilize the logins I have created? 3) Is it possible to also grant a guest permission to add logins without passwords being visible? THANK YOU!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:I need help with setting Guest "permissions".

Comments

• ag_max
    Options

Hi @CRWellness, welcome to the 1Password Support Community. 👋

How do I grant access to the logins for use without them being "visible"?

This is absolutely possible if you're using 1Password Business. You'll have access to granular user and group permissions & client settings on vaults. One such client setting is View and Copy Passwords. If a user or group lacks this client setting for a shared vault, they will not be able to view or copy any of the password fields for saved items stored in that vault inside any of the 1Password applications or web extensions. They will still be able to use 1Password in the browser to fill those passwords on the sign-in pages of websites and services. This will also work with guests and prevent them from viewing passwords within 1Password itself.

As great as a feature this is, it should be viewed mainly as a deterrent, as we can only guarantee true compliance within the 1Password ecosystem of applications and web extensions. When 1Password is invoked by a team member to fill this password into a browser, they might still obtain the password by using the developers’ tools on that web page, or by clicking the "Show password" icon from the website itself. We cover this and more in this support article and our Security Design white paper.

To prevent a guest from revealing passwords contained in a specific vault, follow these steps:

1. Open https://start.1password.com in your browser and sign in to your account.
    2. Click Vaults in the right sidebar, then click a vault for which you'd like to restrict password viewing access.
    3. Click the gear icon next to the guest's name.
    4. Make sure that View and Copy Passwords is deselected.
      • If you haven't already added a user or group to a vault, near the top of the Vault Details page, click Share Vault and enter the name of the group or user.
      • Select the result, click the gear icon, remove View and Copy Passwords. and click Share.

The View Items permission is the only necessary permission to allow filling from the 1Password extension. You also mentioned you wish for the guests to be able to add items to a shared vault. You can leave the Create Vaults permission toggled on to allow this functionality.

• CRWellness
    CRWellness
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome! Thank you for the clarification!

• ag_max
    Options

You're very welcome. Let our team know if we can be of any help with anything else going forward.

This discussion has been closed.