Very difficult to download 1Password on a new computer

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have a license. I try to go to the 1Password website. I go round and round but cannot find where to download it.

I offers me free trials and wants me to register. There is not a simple way to do this. I had to do this last week and it was very frustrating. Now I have to do it again, and I don't remember the magical sequence. I just want to download it and enter my license key.

Seems like I maybe have to login as might have done that. Will update later.

There should just be a simple process.

I checked my information from the Welcome email, and it did give link: https://1password.com/downloads. Now that is simple. Just not a link you seem to want to give on your main site for some reason.

I did get the download and installed it. But then it asks me if I want to sync passwords. I don't think that is the right thing to do at this point, but it does not explain what the consequences of the different choices are.

This could be a much smoother experience.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @jasimon9

It sounds like you are looking for the downloads page. Once there scroll to the bottom and select the desired link under the heading of "Using an older computer".

https://1password.com/downloads

As far as syncing is concerned you would select the appropriate option where your current data lives. Only you know where the data is. For almost zero configuration I would highly recommend moving to 1Password 8 and using one of our membership.

1Password 7 and all previous version are no longer supported. 1Password 7 would only receive an critical updates, if needed. 1Password 8 is the way forward. I would encourage you to look into it. We may even have offers that may be beneficial to you. You can email my colleagues, if desired, and see what they have to say. It costs you nothing to see what's available.

support+tradein@1password.com is the email address to use.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

I eventually found the downloads page on the link you show. Just found it impossible to find that on your main website. Need to know the secret link apparently.

I am on 1P version 8 and have been for a long time.

Thanks.

• @jasimon9

I'm sorry that the downloads page was hard to find. I've passed your experience along to the team that designs our website so that they can see if we can make the download page more visible from the homepage in the future. Thank you for the feedback! 🙂

-Dave

ref: /boards/1628845554/pulses/4374655261

This discussion has been closed.