Import Old Backup Into New Vault

Options
jasnw
jasnw
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I want to import a 1Password backup made using a prior version of 1Password (from 2015) into a new vault. It appears, however, that when you do an import there is no way to specify what vault it will be imported to. When choosing the backup to import the dialog window includes the statement "The contents of the file will be merged into Personal." This is exactly what I don't want to happen - I want to import into a separate vault. Is there any way to do this in 1P Version 7?

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.4
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @jasnw! 👋

I'm happy to help you import your old items, can you first tell me a little more about the situation:

1. What version of 1Password was used to create the backup?
    2. What format is the backup in? Is it an export of your items in CSV format?
    3. Do you already have a 1Password account?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I'm not sure what version was used, but I was keeping current with the latest versions at the time, which was late Nov 2015. It was on a Mac.
    2. It's a data1.pif file.
    3. Yes.

Jim

• Dave_1P
    Options

@jasnw

Thank you for the reply. Do you mean that the file is a .1pif file? If it is then you can import it into a separate vault by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 7.
    2. Click on File next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Import.
    4. Click Other.
    5. Click Import a 1PIF File.
    6. Select the vault that you'd like to import the file into.
    7. Click Select File.
    8. Choose the 1PIF file and follow the prompts to finish the import process.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Worked like a charm. I'm not sure which steps I went through to end up with no choice on which vault the import went into. Just dumb luck, probably.

Jim

• Dave_1P
    Options

@jasnw

I'm glad that I was able to help. 🙂

I did want to mention that 1Password 7 is no longer supported and I recommend that you upgrade to our latest version: 1Password 8. Since you have a 1Password account already, the upgrade is available to you at no additional cost.

-Dave

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

I know about 8, and I've made a conscious decision to not upgrade. While I like products to add new capabilities, I really don't like changes to the look-and-feel unless they are necessary to support the new capabilities. I was a reluctant upgrader to 7, and didn't like 8 after a trial run. A related issue is that while I don't mind the subscription model 1Password adopted some time back, because you do need to stay ahead of the bad guys, I'm not thrilled with this money being spent to tweak the interface. It should be spent on the back-end security and maintaining the balance between use of use/access and security. Just my twocents.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@jasnw

Thank you for your thoughts. The goal of 1Password 8 is to create a brand new experience that is easier to use and more convenient. We also took the opportunity to standardize how 1Password 8 feels and looks across all platforms so that folks see the same 1Password regardless of the devices that they use.

Is there anything in particular that you don't like about the look and feel of 1Password 8? I would be happy to pass along your feedback to our design and product teams.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.