Feature Request: generate masked email in any form

Options
langjo
langjo
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Currently, the functionality to generate a masked email is only available in proper sign-up / registration forms.
However, where it would be really useful is something like a newsletter signup form, where the fields may not be explicitly tagged for that.

Example:

1Password recognizes that this is an email field, but only offers to autofill, and in this case doesn't have a suggestion (since I don't have an account on the page). As far as I can tell, I'm not even able to generate a masked email, even if I go into the app and create a new login.

It would be awesome if I could just say: generate a new masked email here, and it gets saved (could be as a new login, if it has to).

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007041)
Extension Version: 2.11.0
OS Version: macOS 13.4
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Generate email everywhere

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @langjo, the option to generate a masked email should appear on signup forms for newsletters, as long as 1Password can detect the field properly. An example can be seen here: https://share.cleanshot.com/0zTKJLJK. The link to that form is here: https://1password.com/passwordless-news.

Since things do work on other forms, it seems like the behavior you're seeing is specific to the form in your screenshot. Could you provide a link to that form?

As a note, I'll leave your feedback about an option to generate masked emails in the extension even if an email address field or signup form is not present. To workaround that currently, you'd have to sign into Fastmail, where you can generate a masked email address manually.

I look forward to checking out the form you've posted about further!

PB: 33782991

• langjo
    langjo
    Community Member
    Options

Here's the URL: https://www.gira.de/service-kontakt/ratgeber/smart-home-technik-nachruesten
    I know about generating it manually in Fastmail, but that's pretty cumbersome...
    It would be great if 1Password let me do it when I create a new manual entry, not just when it thinks it can offer it - it's not always that smart! ;)
    Thanks for forwarding...

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@langjo I definitely understand why it would feel cumbersome to have to log into Fastmail to generate a masked email manually. Hopefully, our developers can add a feature to do that from the extension in the future.

As a note, I've reviewed the form that you shared, and I do see that 1Password is designating the email address field incorrectly as a username field. That's why there is not a suggestion to create a masked email there. I've reported the form to our developers. Though I don't have information on when they'll be able to get to it, I'm confident that they'll be able to find a solution for it. I hope that's sooner rather than later.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if you run into any other issues. In the meantime, thanks for being a user.

ref: dev/core/core#22529

This discussion has been closed.