the database was terminated and may have been corrupted. what does that mean

Options
grandpamike
grandpamike
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

](https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/j6/gh41mqa9b3i4.png "")

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi @grandpamike! I'm sorry about the confusion regarding that database termination notification. I'll be glad to provide some insight.

1Password for Safari maintains a connection to our encrypted servers (we call it the IDBDatabase connection) which allows its functions to work properly. However, if your browser's cache, cookies, or history is cleared, Safari wipes that database connection, and that's why the database termination notification appears.

More information on this message can be found on the following support link: If you see "The database was terminated" in Safari

As a note, while the database termination message will appear when you clear your browsing data, the extension is able to reinitialize without any action on your part. It happens automatically, and the extension should work again. Can you let me know if you're having any issues with the 1Password extension after closing the message?

In the meantime, if you wish to avoid the message in the future, I recommend opening Safari in a private window (where your data is not saved) and then use 1Password from there. In that situation, there would not be a need to clear your browsing data, and as a result, the database termination notification will not be triggered. Here's how to open Safari in a private window: Browser privately in Safari

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• grandpamike
    grandpamike
    Community Member
    Options

Joy,

Thank you for your response, and I will make sure that I use Safari in a private window, going forward. As of today, I believe that all of my settings in 1P, are working fine.. P.S. I have multiple browsers on my iMac, do I need to do the same on all of them ?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2023
    Options

@grandpamike you are welcome! I'm glad that things are working well. The database termination message has mainly appeared in Safari after clearing the browsing data. The message has not appeared in other browsers using the same workflow. You should be fine with clearing your browsing data in other browsers.

This discussion has been closed.