Is it possible to add an existing 1Password account to an active Family account?

Options
hntle
hntle
Community Member

Is it possible to directly add an existing 1Password account (with no plan, neither Individual nor Family) to an active Family plan? In other words: if a person has already had a 1Password account (but with no plan), can I directly add that account's email address to an active Family plan without sending an invitation email (therefore not having he/she to create another 1Password account using invitation link)?

The way I see it today when I want to add another member to Family plan: by going to People setting and click Invite People then fill in an email address. Doing this, the recipient will have to click on a link in his/her mailbox and he/she will be redirected to an interface to create a new 1Password account (despite he/she has already had one).

Please let me know if my question is not clear so that I can clarify. Thank you :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @hntle,

When inviting a family member to a 1Password family account - they will need to create a new 1Password account that is umbrellaed within the family account they are being invited too.

Think of the 1Password Family account as an apartment complex: each member you invite to join your family will live in their own apartment (have their own account, Secret Key, and account password), but still live in the same apartment complex (be a part of the same family account).

We have an article detailing more about 1Password Families here: About 1Password Families

• hntle
    hntle
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_josephine for making it clear with this information :).

Which leads to my next questions: when a family member decides not to be under the coverage of family account, what does he/she need to do to retain all passwords stored in his/her vaults?

• Is he/she able to convert his/her existing account to Individual plan without migrating anything? Or he/she has to again register a new account under Individual plan and manually copy-paste passwords from one account to another?
    • In case the family member wants to leave my family account (say "family A) and join another family account (named "family B"), is it correct that he/she has to start from scratch by clicking on an invitation sent from "family B" and create another account under the umbrella or "family B"? Following by manual copy-paste actions to migrate passwords?

Thanks a lot for your answer :).

• Hi @hntle,

When moving away from a family account, whether that be by joining another family account or wanting their own individual account, they would always be required to create a new account; if they are joining another family account, they would need to be invited and create a new account under the family umbrellas and if they are wanting their own account, they will need to create an individual account.

They can then add the new account to the 1Password app on their device that also has the previous account added (this can be done via our How to add your 1Password account to the apps article) and once added, they would then move the data from account to the other using the steps found with our Move and copy items article.

• hntle
    hntle
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot @ag_josephine, that's crystal clear and very helpful :)

• @hntle,

You're welcome, happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.