A message says to "Install the 1Password extension" when it's already installed

Options
Babbling
Babbling
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

It would seem in the new release, if Chrome is open and I click on the 1Password app on the desktop banner, I get the attached response. At first I thought it was asking me to do something so I get clicking the button. This would ask me to install the chrome extension. But then when I clicked that, it said it was already installed. (Frustrating!!)

But then I realised that, in the original box (the attachment) I could just click in the search box and it would take me back to the normal interface. I found this quite confusing, and unexpected from 1Password--I have always found it so intuitive.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007041)
Extension Version: 2.11.0
OS Version: MacOS 12.6.3
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Babbling! 👋

Thank you for posting the screenshot. It looks like you might have two different copies of 1Password installed on your Mac, I've pointed out the two icons with red arrows below:

The pop-up that you're referring to is from a tool called 1Password mini. This was a feature that was included with 1Password 7, which is an older version that is no longer supported. Can you check to see if you have two different 1Password apps in your Mac's Applications folder. You might see the following:

• "1Password.app" is 1Password 8 which is our current app.
    • "1Password 7.app" is 1Password 7 which is the old app.

With the release of 1Password 8, 1Password mini has been replaced by Quick Access which no longer has this issue. Once I hear back from you I can help you remove 1Password 7 and make sure that 1Password 8 is working as it should be on your Mac.

-Dave

• Babbling
    Babbling
    Community Member
    Options

It's so obvious now...how did I not realise this?? Yes, I have both installed on both my laptop and my phone! I managed to remove 1Password 7 on my phone and install 8 without any issues. Happy to hear how I can do the same on my laptop. Thank you!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Babbling

Thank you for the reply. You can remove 1Password 7 from your Mac by following these steps:

1. Right-click on the 1Password 7 icon in your menu bar and click Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Open your Applications folder.
    3. Drag 1Password 7.app to the Trash.

Next, double-click on 1Password 8 from your Applications folder. Do you see all of your items in the new app?

-Dave

• Babbling
    Babbling
    Community Member
    Options

Easy!! Thank you so much!! That's fixed my issues. (And I have to ask if this is THE Dave?) Either way, I always feel very well supported by 1Password!!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Babbling

I'm happy to hear that the steps resolved the issue.

(And I have to ask if this is THE Dave?) Either way, I always feel very well supported by 1Password!!

Not "THE Dave" (our founder), just another friendly Dave who also works at 1Password. 😄

-Dave

• Babbling
    Babbling
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave! THE Dave would be very proud of the great support that all of you provide!

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thank you for the kind words. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.