Adding 1P Family to a new Mac computer

Options
ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

I tried googling and searching the community for this. I've done this in the past, but it's been a while. My wife's new MacBook arrives today. We have 1Password Family. All the info I can find is out of date. Can someone please send me a link to the steps by steps to install it on a new computer? I'm assuming the new Mac will be running Ventura and if not, I will be upgrading to it before we do anything else. Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.4.1`
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hey there @ajahn

This article from the 1Password Support website should serve as a good starting point, with links to the information you'll need:

Get the 1Password apps

If you need any help, let us know here, or send us an email at support@1password.com and we'll lend a hand. :)

— Grey

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the link. I was under the impression that you needed to start with the web access to my.1password.com and then use the "secret key" from the Emergency Kit. But you are right, I also need to download and install the 1Password app. Thanks again.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@ajahn

You're welcome, and you're right that you can also start by going to 1Password.com, signing in, clicking your name in the top-right corner, then "Get the Apps", which then takes you to a page of download links and the ability to add your account to the apps from that screen.

Whether you download the 1Password app first and sign in, or sign in to 1Password.com first and then download the app, the result will be the same. :)

You'll need the Secret Key to be able to sign in on a new device, so make sure you have the Emergency Kit available or another device already signed in where you can find its Setup Code.

We'll be here if you get stuck at any point along the way, so do let us know if you need us. :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. Got it all working. I love the Family membership and how easy things are in the cloud.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@ajahn

Great! Glad to hear it's all gone smoothly. :)

This discussion has been closed.