Experiment #2 - Custom browsers

Options
Mathieu_1P
edited January 24 in Labs

Hi everyone!

We are very excited about our second experiment: custom browsers! If you've been following the nightly channel on macOS, you might have had the chance to take this for a spin already. It is a recurring request for us to support new and interesting browsers but it can be hard for us to stay on top of this changing landscape when properly vetting an upcoming browser can be time consuming. By enabling this feature, you now have the ability to make an informed decision about a new/interesting browser's use even if we haven't yet had the time to do our own investigations.

While we hope to bring this feature to other platforms as well in the future, it will initially only be available on macOS

We're eager to hear your thoughts and experiences with Labs as you try it out. Let us know what you think below in this thread.

Ultimately I'd love to hear feedback on two very specific questions:
1. Does this experiment allow you to make use of your favourite browser?
2. Should we ship custom browsers in the Stable product?

Comments

• reacuna
    reacuna
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes it does. I've been using Orion for over a year and now that there's 1Password support it can really be my new default browser.

1. Should we ship custom browsers in the Stable product?

Sure, if that would enable me to stop using the Nightly channel - having extra stability with my passwords is something that I like having, even though I'm willing to 'take a walk on the wild side' now and then.

• ygz
    ygz
    Community Member
    Options

I really like using ungoogled-chromium for privacy purposes. I generally build the browser myself and update the code as my liking. So yeah this feature really helps.

If that means that 1Password would perform better. Yeah go ahead :)

• MaxensV
    MaxensV
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, when I try to use this (amazing) new feature with ungoogled-chromium version 115.0.5790.170 (arm) installed with brew, I get this error message: The selected application was signed in an unsupported or may be missing a require identifier. However, I tried to install the 1password extension, and 1password beta (chrome web store) on the browser. But it doesn't work either way

• chapukwuk
    chapukwuk
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello.

Yes. I recently installed the Beta product, and I am using this feature with Orion browser on macOS. As far as I can tell, the integration is working properly.

From my perspective, I hope for it to be in the Stable product. However, I can also understand that it could be an additional burden to provide ongoing support for this feature. Either way, I appreciate that 1Password is continuing to regularly improve its products and test and implement useful features.

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi, this doesn't seem to be working...

1Password: Mac 8.10.16 (81016015)
    Browser: Wavebox 10.116.10, Chromium 116.0.5845.141
    1Password extension: 2.14.1

Connect to browsers not vetted is enabled, but when I open 1Password in the browser I just get the "Chrome has an update available" message...

I've also tried it with Sidekick 114.50.2.35130, which despite being an older Chromium doesn't show the out-of-date warning, but still prompts for the password...

I've tried quitting and restarting 1Password and both browsers, but neither allows me to log in without using my password. The integration with Wavebox had been intermittently working until the beginning of August, provided the release was still on the beta channel (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/693078#Comment_693078). Is there anything else I can try to get this working?

• jacob1p
    jacob1p
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! I use it with Wavebox, and love it!

Absolutely yes! Please ship to the Stable product!

• Thanks for the feedback everyone! We are looking forward to bringing trusted browser support to stable for everyone, starting with adding it to Labs.

@Thomas8520 in the stable channel, you will need to enable the feature first by going to Settings > Labs > Enable custom browser support. Let me know if you've done that and it still doesn't connect.

• rzlprnft
    rzlprnft
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

@MaxensV I also get the error message "The selected application was signed in an unsupported or may be missing a require identifier." when trying to add Chromium installed via Homebrew as a trusted browser. I'm on Chromium 119.0.6007.0 (Developer Build) (arm64) and 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016039) (NIGHTLY Channel).

I could install the 1Password extension in Chromium without a problem. Did you find a solution to this?

• helloworld1231
    helloworld1231
    Community Member
    Options

It doesn't work for me either. I would love to see this feature, but like the other Chromium users, I have the same problem with ungoogled-chromium via brew.

Steps to reproduce

1. Go to Labs in the 1Password app settings and enable the custom browser support
    2. Go to 1Password extension settings and enable Integrate with 1Password app
    3. Go to Browser in the 1Password app settings, click Add Browser, select Chromium.app from /Applications/.

Expected behavior

From now on, the 1Password extension and app sync their unlock state. So if the app is unlocked, the extension is too.

Actual behavior

When selecting the Chromium.app in step 3. the 1Password app shows the following error:

The selected application was signed in an unsupported way or may be missing a required identifier.

Versions

1Password version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016043), BETA
    1Password extension version: 1Password in the browser 2.14.1 21400102, STABLE
    Chromium version: 114.0.5735.198 (installed via brew eloston-chromium)

• prenagha
    prenagha
    Community Member
    Options

The Lab explanatory text mentions Safari, yet if I use the function to add the system built-in Safari /Applications/Safari.app I get an error message:
    The selected application was signed in an unsupported way or may be missing a required identifier.
    I assume I don't need to trust the built-in Safari and this is expected - might want to adjust the message to say that so people don't think its an error.
    Or show built-in browsers as already trusted in the list.

1P version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016047)
    Mac: ventura 13.5.2

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. Finally able to use Wavebox with 1Password :)

Absolutely. Good to see that this has moved from beta to production. Now I can also use it for work.

• dogmatagram
    dogmatagram
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, as others have said in this discussion, this allows me to use 1Password inside Orion browser.

It seems like you already have in Labs within Stable, which is extremely welcome; now I don't need to run nightly/beta builds of 1Password just to enable this integration!

• lovestudykid
    lovestudykid
    Community Member
    Options

As many has reported, it doesn't work with ungoolged-chromium since it's not codesigned. Obviously not all ungoolged-chromium users have an apple developer account. But this is not required on linux system. Consider changing mac mechanism to the same as linux.

• ianbogue
    ianbogue
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Yes! This is a welcome addition that allows we tech-savvy users to stay on the cutting edge of browser products while retaining near-complete functionality with 1Password.
    2. Absolutely this should be shipped in the Stable product.
  • TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member
    Options

As mentioned before, I truly believe 1Password needs this feature. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be stable at this time.

I'm using Wavebox as a browser. On a very regular basis I'm getting the "Chrome has an update available. Restart Chrome to install the update and reconnect with 1Password" message in my 1Password browser extension. The message is shown even when there are no updates. Neither from Wavebox, nor from 1Password.

I have found that when I get the message, all I have to do is go to 1Password Settings Browser tab to find that Wavebox is no longer there as a trusted browser! It has simply been removed for no reason whatsoever. Again no Wavebox or 1Password updates. Something is clearly wrong here and needs to be fixed.
    Also, fwiw, I would expect trusted browser definitions to be persistent, even when the browser is updated or when 1Password is updated.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

I'm attempting to use Orion RC (Oct 12) on Mac, and 1P basically is 99% broken. No lock icon and no autofill 99% of the time. Twice a couple of weeks ago it worked as expected. It's so broken I can't use Orion.

• ZPrime
    ZPrime
    Community Member
    Options

I am a fan of this feature as well, since I'm a Vivaldi user... although it seemed like Vivaldi already worked correctly on MacOS (maybe it "smelled enough like Chrome" to Just Work?) I don't think I've noticed any strange behavior with Vivaldi on Windows either.

Regardless, I have the feature enabled now for Vivaldi.

• pollack
    pollack
    Community Member
    Options

Mullvad Browser v13.0 (based on Mozilla Firefox 115.4.0esr)

Yes. Mullvad Browser is basically Firefox but security focused.

• pollack
    pollack
    Community Member
    Options

@Mathieu_1P, is this experiment over?

I dont have the option anymore to add a new browser.

• whaterv
    whaterv
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. I am trying to add LibreWolf, but given that they ship an unsigned binary, I get an error message.

I really do not care about OS-level application signing and would very much like you to honor my decision about that and enable me to add applications like that.

Absolutely. This annoyance is the thing that will likely push me not to renew once our subscription is up.

• t3rminus
    t3rminus
    Community Member
    Options

No. As above, I'm also trying to use LibreWolf. The browser has made an informed, conscious decision not to ship a signed binary, and has no plans to do so, since it's essentially a security mechanism that's paywalled by Apple, requiring a valid developer subscription to maintain.

Please allow us to select unsigned browsers.

As above as well, I definitely think this is sorely needed, please ship it, even in its current state. And bring it to Linux as well, I'm having a heck of a time getting 1Password to recognize any browser on that OS.

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member
    Options

No. Please allow unsigned browsers. Using Thorium and can't enable 1Password integration.

Yes

• rrsch
    rrsch
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yes! I'm in Opera. I've been stfuggling to find a browser with workspaces feature, and this one's doing the best job so far. I was initally disappointed to realize that 1P didn't work, and stoked to realize that it actually did!

Unless there is some significant security concern, absolutely yes.

• blebaron
    blebaron
    Community Member
    Options

No, I can't seem to get this working with SideKick. I have the labs feature turned on and SideKick added to the Trusted Browsers. The plugin shows a yellow dot telling me to make sure that the app is unlocked. The following errors show up in the JS console:

background.js:2 💫 Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password
    background.js:2 📤 Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <2985231611>
    background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    background.js:2 💫 Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password7
    background.js:2 📤 Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <572292651>
    background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.

Yes, please

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I'm using Wavebox as my standard browser. I was happy to see that a possibility to add custom browsers as Trusted Borwser was added to 1Password.

Unfortunately this feature leaves a lot to be desired. When adding Wavebox as a trusted browser, things work as expected. However, the setting keeps getting cleared with every reboot of my system or restart of 1Password.

How can I fix this so that this sticks once and for all?

1Password Version: 8.10.18
    Extension Version: 2.17.0
    OS Version: macOS 14.1
    Browser: Wavebox

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member
    Options

@TwinTraveller I've been using 1Password with Wavebox & the trusted browser feature for a few months and it's been working great. It might be worth raising a support ticket with 1Password for this to see why the settings keep getting cleared

• jc00ke
    jc00ke
    Community Member
    Options

HMU when you want to run a custom browser experiment on Linux. I'd love to get the browser extention integration with the desktop app working in Thorium.

• rebdeg
    rebdeg
    Community Member
    Options

Gives an error: That application does not work. The chosen app was logged in in a way that is not supported or missing identificator.

1Password Version: 8.10.22
    Extension Version: 2.17.1
    OS Version: 14.2 beta (23C5047e)
    Browser: Safari

• KyleRuder
    KyleRuder
    Community Member
    Options
    1. No. I'm a LibreWolf user and can't use this feature because LW is unsigned conscientiously. While I can understand why 1P is concerned about security implications, advanced users should be given the option to add an unsigned browser (perhaps after judicious disclaimers on 1Ps part).

2. Yes.. but also see above.

• Carlos Duarte Do Nascimento
    Options

Hello! I am using 1Password with the Firefox extension on my personal build of Firefox (Nightly), which works fine but doesn't unlock with TouchID (it also required a login, which I don't remember Firefox official aksing), so I assume the lack of a connection is an issue and this feature would be awesome to fix that.

However, when I tried to vet my custom-built Firefox (Nightly.app), I got:

Dialog box: "That application didn't work The selected application was not signed. Make sure that it came from a trusted source.", Ok button

I suppose I could sign it (if it indeed isn't), but the signature would only be valid for a week or so anyway, so it would be great if there was an option to skip that requirement (surely, after showing all sorts of scary prompts on how this will allow the application writer to burn your house down, etc.). Anything like that in sight?

This discussion has been closed.