Error: "Oops, something went wrong while loading" [SEE APPROVED ANSWER]

Options
jFred
jFred
Community Member
edited December 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

View Approved Answer

Chromium browsers (Edge and Chrome), latest version, as well as Safari

Browser extension just updated to 2.14 and now it's not working on all browsers.

When I click on the 1Password icon on the browser, I get the following error:

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.14
OS Version: MacOS 13.4
Browser: Chrome and Edge

Comments

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I just set up my wife's new M2 Pro Mac mini, installed 1Password, then 1Password for Safari. Everything is configured correctly (done this dozens of times), but when I click on the locked 1P icon in the Safari menu bar, it briefly flashes (displays "...Loading") then that small window closes, opening the main login window for the macOS 1Password app. I add her password and the window just disappears...instantly. Then it's back to Safari with a locked 1P icon.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• Hi @LarryMcJ,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having on your wife's Mac, it sounds like 1Password in the browser is having a hard time connecting with the 1Password app. Do the steps below improve things at all?

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if it is working properly.

If this doesn't help, I'd like you to send over the following reports to we can take a closer look at what may be going wrong:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thanks @steph.giles but this is apparently not an issue related to her Mac. I just now installed 1Password on a new M2 Pro MacBook Pro and I'm seeing the exact same problem as on my wife's new M2 Pro Mac mini. That's not possibly a coincidence. I'll just go back to Keychain and wait for the problems to be resolved in the next update. I don't say this with any malice at all...but I've experienced more problems with v8 than I've had with all versions during the past 17 years using 1Password.

• Hey @LarryMcJ,

I'm so sorry for the trouble, that is definitely not the expected behaviour and I'd be more than happy to continue troubleshooting to get things working as they should be for you.

I respect your decision but if you would like to give it another try, the logs I requested above would be really useful for us to see exactly what is going wrong and get things back on track.

Let us know if there is anything else I can help with at all.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the offer to continue...I honestly appreciate it, @steph.giles, but I'll pass for now and try again later. FWIW, even though both Macs are brand new, I completely deleted every single file associated with 1Password per your own instructions, then reinstalled it (a second time) on both new Macs, using a new download installer file. Same exact result. The Mac app installs fine, the Safari app "appears" to install fine, the Mac app works fine, but clicking the locked 1P icon in Safari invokes the login screen for about a half second, then it invokes the login screen for the Mac app.

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member
    Options

Adding more details, clicking Reload 1Password does not solve the problem. Restarting browsers as well as restarting the computer does not solve the problem either.

• vk4apn
    vk4apn
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

As above reporting using Chrome browser, extension autofill doesnt work at all. Also extension and bottom of screen full app are not in sync anymore. I.e. locking extension and app worked in unison, locking one would lock the other and vice versa. Getting OOPS message. tried rebooting and pretty well what has already been listed before. Quickly losing confidence.

• scottfulmar
    scottfulmar
    Community Member
    Options

Someone in another thread found a fix, at least for Chrome. Uninstall the extension from Chrome, then close Chrome, open 1Password app, go to Settings>Browser, click on "Get 1Password for your browser." This will take you to the Chrome webstore's page for the extension, where you can reinstall it. The extension should work properly after that.

• selfisch
    selfisch
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Have had the same issue in all my 4 browsers with the plugins.
    For being able to reply here to this post, I created an account via the 1password application. Looks like creating an item fixed the issue in all the browsers :-D.
    Really strange behavior.

Edit: Sorry, was to fast. The described solution worked for me in Edge, Chrome and Firefox under Windows. Brave still had the issue. I had to go the way @scottfulmar described. Uninstall plugin, restart browser, install plugin. After that, Brave plugin also works again.

• Mosabon
    Mosabon
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. I followed scottfulmar's feedback (Thank you very much!) and uninstalled the plugin, closed browser and used Settings>Browser "Get 1Password for your browser". As Edge is my default, the "Edge/Add-On" page opened (not Chrome) and I installed again the Edge addon. After this, it works again. So finally, reinstalling the addon is the solution I would suppose.

Edge Add-On Link I was redirected to:
    https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/1password-–-passwortmana/dppgmdbiimibapkepcbdbmkaabgiofem

• Partlan
    Partlan
    Community Member
    Options

Did somebody find a solution / work-around for Safari?

Unfortunately uninstalling / reinstalling did not work.

• Ollie6
    Ollie6
    Community Member
    Options

Just woke up to the same issue on Chrome. For some reason Safari and Firefox were unaffected

@scottfulmar suggestion worked. Thanks!

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I use Safari and need the extension to work. Did anyone found a solution until 1Password team fixes the issue and releases hopefully - a quick fix / new version within a day?

• frustrate
    frustrate
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here on Mac + Chrome from this morning. Apparently uninstalling/reinstalling Chrome extension seems to work. Not happy by the development as in the first years 1P has always work smoothly.

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Options

Reinstalling extension on Safari doesn't solve the problem. I must say I'm not happy with development team or quality/testing team either :(

• yippy3000
    yippy3000
    Community Member
    Options

I woke up to the same issue as well. Completely broken extension.

Uninstalling and re-installing fixed it but a regular user is not going to do that. It needs fixing

• DHK
    DHK
    Community Member
    Options

This is similar to another entry I've seen. I think 1Pass for Safari updated and now when I try to use it I get an "oops, something went wrong while loading" error. I've tried shutting 1Pass down and restarting but no luck. I deleted the 1Pass for Safari and downloaded it again and still no joy.

Extension Version: 2.14.0
    OS Version: macOS 13.5
    Browser: Safari

• michaelmcdonald
    michaelmcdonald
    Community Member
    Options

Adding to this that I'm seeing the same behavior.

OS Version: macOS 13.4.1
    Browser: Safari 16.5.1

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

1Password stopped working in Brave and Chrome. It works in Safari. I get a message to install extension but after it tries to do the install it still does not work.

1Password Version: 7.9.11
    Extension Version: 1.14.0
    OS Version: Venutra 13.5
    Browser: Chrome and Brave

• garrettm30
    garrettm30
    Community Member
    Options

I also have this problem (and have emailed 1Password support about it (#QMC-74326-711). I have since tested the suggested workaround above (thanks @Solos for letting us know here), and I can confirm that it does work in Safari, besides the inconvenience of needing to log in again every time the browser is newly launched.

For the sake of others, these are the settings to look for. In the 1Password app:

And in the 1Password settings in the browser:

Restart the browser, and then you should be able to log in to 1Password from the browser and then have access to your vault.

Now if I can just remember to undo these settings when the fix is released.

• EWTHeckman
    EWTHeckman
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same thing. The extension is able to recognize whether or not 1Password is unlocked, but that is all. It is otherwise completely non-functional.

• EWTHeckman
    EWTHeckman
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

…nevermind… I spoke too soon.

• Zectzozda
    Zectzozda
    Community Member
    Options

I opened google chrome today (one of several profiles I use on this PC). When I used my keyboard shortcut to open the plugin and log in (Ctrl + Shift + Space), the plugin appeared with the error "Oops, something went wrong". It works when accessing it via other Chrome profiles (same 1password account).
    Screen recording of the issue here: https://imgur.com/a/KcHUuhs

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.9 (81009046)
    OS Version: Windows 11 Professional
    Browser: Chrome 115.0.5790.171 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Zectzozda
    Zectzozda
    Community Member
    Options

Also, it took me ages to find the correct URL to log into the community site to post this question. When logged into https://my.1password.com/home > click my profile picture on top-right > Help & Support > opens https://support.1password.com/category/accounts/ in a new tab > contact support on top-right > redirected to https://support.1password.com/contact/ but not signed in despite being the same browser session. Clicked sign in, which takes me back to https://my.1password.com/signin to sign in again, to repeat this ad-infinitum.

• Woodchuck
    Woodchuck
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Just throwing in my 2 cents - also doesn't work on Edge. The Add-On comes up blank with no content. The Desktop App works fine, but Extension in Edge is empty.

I will attempt to use the resolution above temporarily. Thank you.

EDIT: Removing the Shared Lock State works on Edge as a temp solution.

• jsimon0
    jsimon0
    Community Member
    Options

I can add that the primary fix (turning the extension off and then on again) doesn't work consistently on Brave on Linux.

• GIC
    GIC
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I had this issue, Mac Book Pro, latest OS (13.4.1 (c), 1P app (8.10.9) and Safari extension. I uninstalled the app and extension then reinstalled, same issue using the browser extension. It is showing 0 entries when searching, showing 0 vaults etc on a blank tab and then if I go to a site, I get the OP error.

I did as @selfisch mentioned - created a new entry in the main app - just used fake website, made up username and password - now the plugin appears to be working partially. I can click the extension button in the browser bar and it shows logins but trying to autofill the text boxes with selecting 'Autofill' or clicking the 1 password icon inside the text boxes does nothing. I have to copy/paste the entries over.

I have turned off the integrate with 1Password app setting in the browser extension settings.

edit: I have now turned off "Connect with 1Password in the browser" setting in the main 1Password app settings. This is in addition to the extension setting change I mentioned. This seems to have worked to get autofill working again.

This discussion has been closed.