1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost processes in activity monitor

Options
dbuckley
dbuckley
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi there!

I saw a thread on her pertaining to this exact issue from 2022, but a user in my company's Macbook is running unusably slow, to the point where typing in any application is very difficult because the keystrokes are registering after 2 seconds, and the fans are running extremely loud and the PC is running quite hot.

Because they are working remotely, it's difficult to get constant access to their computer, especially when they're trying to work. So I was able to get them to send me a screenshot of their activity monitor and under CPU was dozens of processors named '1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost'. After doing a quick search of '1password', selected all and stop process, it seems to fix the issues completely...For a couple of hours, which is fine but for this user in particular it can't be happening.

In the other thread I saw about this, it was resolved by updating to a new version of 1Password 7, but in this case, the latest version (As far as I see) of 1Password 7 is the version they're running (7.9.11). We are not yet ready to roll out 1Password 8 in our company and don't plan on it for another half a year or so.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if you need any more details I'm happy to provide but please bare in mind they work remotely and gaining lots of information from this particular user is not too simple.

Thanks! :)

1Password Version: 7.9.11
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: macOS 12.6.8
Browser: Safari/Chrome

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello @dbuckley! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that your colleague is running into issues with the 1PasswordSLSNativeMessageHost process on their Mac. This was an issue that affected only 1Password 7. 1Password 8, which features a complete redesign of the architecture of the app, is not affected by this issue.

With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and isn't receiving regular updates. We strongly encourage you to update as soon as possible.

In the meantime, as you mentioned, you can workaround the issue by following these steps:

1. In the Finder, click Go menu > Utilities.
    2. Open Activity Monitor and click the CPU tab.
    3. Search for "1Password"
    4. Select all matching processes with ⌘–A or Edit menu > Select All.
    5. Click the 🛑 Stop button in the toolbar and Force Quit.
    6. When all processes disappear, reopen 1Password normally.

However, the issue might return for the user in question (forcing them to perform the workaround steps again) and I recommend that you upgrade them to 1Password 8 for the best experience and to ensure reliability going forward.

-Dave

ref: apple-5654

This discussion has been closed.