1Password for Safari extension blocking downloads on Dropbox.com [FIXED]

Options
Toine
Toine
Community Member

Hi,

on 16.6 on 13.5.1 we are noticing that the browser extension isn't allowing downloads from e.g. dropbox. As soon as the extention is disabled, downloads start.

Is this a known bug? Or are we missing a setting somewhere?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: 13.5.1
Browser: Safari 16.6

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Tonie

I am not able to replicate your experience. Are there any other extensions in play? Perhaps there is some interaction. What happens if you disable all extensions and only enable 1Password?

• Jensen Gelfond
    Jensen Gelfond
    Community Member
    Options

I have a client who had this exact issue today. using the right-click menu on Dropbox.com they could not download files (nothing happened when clicking "download") and the problem was resolved by turning off the 1Password 8 extension in Safari.

• @Toine and @Jensen Gelfond

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when downloading files from Dropbox if 1Password in Safari is turned on. I can confirm that we've since been able to reproduce the issue here on our end and we have an internal work item filed with our development team.

While I'm not able to provide any sort of forecast as to if or when we'll be able to resolve this issue, I can tell you that we're aware that it's something in need of fixing. Thank you for reporting the issue.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23898

• protectblue
    protectblue
    Community Member
    Options

Exactly the same thing happening for me - super annoying as I use both Dropbox & 1Password on a daily basis and so end up having to stop using one in order for the other to work.

• @protectblue

I'm sorry that you're running into the same issue. Our developers are still investigating and hope to release a fix in a future update. When the bug is fixed you'll see it noted in our release notes: 1Password Releases

-Dave

• ilpappa
    ilpappa
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi Team, is there any news on the issue resolution? Many thanks @Dave_1P

• @ilpappa

Thank for the ping, the issue continues to be worked on but I don't have any updates to share. I've let the team know that you're affected as well. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

As a workaround for now, when you're trying to download a file from Dropbox using Safari, you can temporarily disable the 1Password for Safari extension. Alternatively, you can use a different browser to download your files from Dropbox.

-Dave

• skyisthelimit
    skyisthelimit
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. This is unbelievably annoying and has been an issue for a very, very long time. I had gone back and forth with Dropbox support for months, thinking that the problem is on their end. Found this thread by accident. Please find a way to address this soon, surely many other users are facing the same problem and have no idea that it's the 1P extension that breaks Dropbox functionality.

• Apologies for the trouble @skyisthelimit I've added your report to the work item.

• ilpappa
    ilpappa
    Community Member
    Options

Cannot agree more on what @skyisthelimit said. Can you please prioritize debug and resolution @Dave_1P @ag_tommy.

Taking also the chance to wish a great start into 2024.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2023
    Options

I've passed along your thoughts. @ilpappa

• gcamp
    gcamp
    Community Member
    Options

An other +1, this has been going for months.

• Rich2718
    Rich2718
    Community Member
    edited January 22
    Options

I have experienced download issue with Dropbox for many months too. Would have never guessed it was 1Password causing the problem. For now, I just use Chrome to get around the problem. I did discover that if I turn off Pop-up blockers on the Dropbox site, I can download Dropbox folders as Zip files, but not individual files.

• Apologies for the disruption @gcamp, @Rich2718,

I have added you as affected users to the internal issue, thank you for your patience.

• thelung
    thelung
    Community Member
    Options

This is affecting me at present.

Safari 17.2.1 - driving me nuts. 1Password Safari extension is so flaky - why it's now choosing to prevent Dropbox downloads is beyond me. Please fix

• I'm so sorry for the disruption @thelung, this is not the intended behavior.

The current workaround is to disable 1Password for Safari when you want to download or use another browser.

I have added you as an affected user to the internal issue.

• thelung
    thelung
    Community Member
    edited January 26
    Options

Thanks Steph - appreciate the prompt reply. That is a workaround - just not the most practical. It's annoying when the extensions stops responding. That's one thing. It's doubly frustrating for an extension to start to interfere with what seems (to the end user anyway) as something utterly unrelated to it's core functionality. 1password should have absolutely no say in the functionality of download buttons even if it turns out to be only Dropbox web. This needs to be remedied. Thanks.

Just want to chime in - I love 1Password but the quality of the Safari extension is the main thing that makes me want to dump it and switch to a competitor. It's reliably unreliable. Always has been and shows no signs of improving.

• k.alexander
    k.alexander
    Community Member
    Options

Add me as an affected user. Running Sonoma 14.3 and Safari 17.3 -- same problem on multiple MacBookPros. Was also happening on 14.1 and 14.2.

• delfuego
    delfuego
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love to also be added as an affected user; this is super-frustrating, given that Safari is my primary browser and I can't download anything from Dropbox due to this bug.

• ilpappa
    ilpappa
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P, @ag_tommy, @steph.giles, do you have any ETA considering how frustrating this issue is? Many thanks

• @k.alexander, @delfuego

I'm sorry that the issue is affecting you as well, I've shared your reports internally with the team.

@ilpappa

Our team continues to investigate the issue and I don't have an ETA to share at the moment. I'll make sure to update this thread if there are any developments or if any other information is requested from our developers.

-Dave

• skyisthelimit
    skyisthelimit
    Community Member
    Options

This continues to be an issue. It is an issue for all family members using both product on a daily basis so it's not an isolated case. It's been half a year since the problem was first posted, can we please get a fix already, thank you!

• k.alexander
    k.alexander
    Community Member
    Options

I have now confirmed this on every Mac computer that I have, multiple laptops and desktops, Intel CPU and Apple Silicon; all running the most recent version of macOS, Safari, and 1PW8. This has absolutely been going on for at least the last four months since I've noticed it. Would be great to resolve.

• delfuego
    delfuego
    Community Member
    Options

I mean, it's definitely a 1Password issue, definitely not computer-related. And I share everyone's frustration that somehow, the 1Password extension is preventing downloads from Dropbox and it's not being addressed as the real issue it is for many of us.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 31
    Options

My apologies folks. I've shared your feedback.

• swingspan
    swingspan
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem on Dropbox consistently -- and sometimes other sites, too. If I turn off the 1password extension, downloads work fine. Safari on macOS, all the latest updates. This is frustrating, and I'm starting to wonder if I need to find another password management solution that's less buggy. Otherwise, I love 1password!

• brightpavilions
    brightpavilions
    Community Member
    Options

I've landed here because I was having an issue downloading files from Dropbox, and I can confirm I'm able to replicate this issue. When the 1Password Safari extension is enabled, I am unable to download a file in Safari on macOS.

• @swingspan

I'm sorry that you're running into issues with downloads in Safari when using 1Password. This particular issue should only affect the Dropbox website in Safari, could you share some of the other websites where downloads aren't working so that I can investigate that further?

-Dave

• @brightpavilions

Thank you for the report, I'm sorry that you're affected. The issue is still open with our development team.

For the time being, as a workaround, you can temporarily disable 1Password for Safari when you need to download a file from Dropbox.com or you can use a different browser like Firefox or Chrome to download Dropbox files.

-Dave

• skyisthelimit
    skyisthelimit
    Community Member
    Options

Still hasn't been fixed on latest app versions...