1Password for Safari extension blocking downloads on Dropbox.com [FIXED]

Options
2»

Comments

• @skyisthelimit

Our developers are still working on the issue and you're correct that it hasn't been fixed yet. Thank you for your continued patience.

-Dave

• OneSociety
    OneSociety
    Community Member
    Options

How long will it take to fix this issue? It has been 6 months since the original report. It's not like Dropbox is some esoteric website. I'm facing the same issue with Safari 17.3.1.

• skyisthelimit
    skyisthelimit
    Community Member
    Options

Still not fixed, looks like it's not a priority at all. Perhaps we need to address to the upper management team for escalation at this point.

• delfuego
    delfuego
    Community Member
    Options

Seriously. @Dave_1P: what would it take for all of us paying users to get this prioritized? It's incredibly weird to me (to us?) that this has been an issue for months and months, with a specific website, and 1P doesn't seem to have prioritized getting this fixed in any way.

• Hi there! My name is Hilary and I'm the developer that broke the Dropbox download functionality when 1Password is installed.

I'd like to first say how sorry I am for the frustration I've caused, and that I didn't share more information with all of you sooner. That's entirely my fault, and I have a few learnings I have taken away from the experience that I'd be happy to share in a separate post for those who are interested.

A background on this issue trajectory:

The Dropbox problem was brought in by our incredible support team and has been advocated by them and tracked for months. When this was a new issue, one internal development team was able to pinpoint the time in which this issue started occurring, and it aligned with code I had written, so my team was assigned.

I started to investigate the issue and found that the code on Dropbox works in such a way that any extension that writes code in a particular manner, will break the Dropbox download feature. For technical reasons I can share in another post, it would be extremely challenging to remove this code without breaking our support for passkeys on all sites, so I recommended we don't change it, and instead, share with Dropbox my investigation and how they can be impacted.

I created a personal Dropbox account so that I could write into customer support (ticket #23008629). I then reached out to a Dropbox employee privately. Neither of these efforts led to me able to speak to a developer at Dropbox, so progress on fixing the issue stalled. Thank you all for continually writing in and keeping this issue front of mind so that it didn’t get lost in our backlog during this period.

Latest update:

Another developer on our team looked into this issue today, and I'm happy to say they implemented a fix just for Dropbox! Rather than modifying the hard to change passkey code, we now specifically don't insert this code when we are on particular Dropbox pages. This could become a problem again in the future, because it relies on how Dropbox works which we have no control over. But we can revisit our solution if/when that happens. The fix will definitely be in Nightly next week, and our other channels in the weeks to come.

Thank you for sticking with us when we've let you down. There isn't a single developer or customer support person at 1Password that doesn't care about you all. I can honestly say it's just a matter of which problem do we solve first, and when the list is ever growing, it can take a long time before we solve yours.

If you'd like follow-ups on the underlaying technical problem or personal learnings, please don't hesitate to reach out!!

• delfuego
    delfuego
    Community Member
    Options

Wow – @Hilary_1P, thanks for the comprehensive update, and the info about a fix coming soon! If you think it's worthwhile, I'd argue that most people who're complaining about this issue are also paying Dropbox customers, so we ALL can go to their support system and advocate for them to engage with you on a true fix on their end — just let us know (send up the 1P signal, as it were).

• Hilary_1P
    edited March 22
    Options

That would be awesome @delfuego! My next step is to post on the Dropbox forums and then share that post here. If you and anyone else can upvote it, that would be amazing. My investigation led to a variety of ways Dropbox can fix this problem for all extensions, and I would love for someone on their team to take a look.

• Here is the post I made to Dropbox with a technical explanation and suggestions at the bottom https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/1Password-suggestion-to-fix-file-downloads/idi-p/759341

• delfuego
    delfuego
    Community Member
    Options

@Hilary_1P Done and done — raised my own trouble ticket with them (ticket #23498045), referencing your prior ticket, your newly-created Dropbox community forum thread, and this thread, and then I replied to your community forum thread begging them to engage there as well.

• skyisthelimit
    skyisthelimit
    Community Member
    edited March 30
    Options

Dear @Hilary_1P & rest of the 1P team: thank you for the update and your work on this issue, it brings me incredible satisfaction to see that problems are not being ignored and the team is actively looking into solutions. I truly expected this to be yet another typical "I will send to the appropriate team" thing that never gets solved, and had planned to reach out to upper management on LinkedIn with a complaint as I use Dropbox daily and this particular bug has been a major thorn in my eye for a very long time. Instead, I can now wait for the solution, and still reach out to 1P management on LinkedIn but with a praise, instead of a complaint. Much better way to do things...looking forward to the update on the Production channel :)

• TimG1P
    Options

Hi @delfuego and @skyisthelimit

Your patience, cooperation, and positive feedback while @Hilary_1P and the team work towards resolving this issue are greatly appreciated.

Once the workaround has made its way to the Beta and Production versions of 1Password in the browser, it will be announced in our release notes:

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

• Djelibeybi
    Djelibeybi
    Community Member
    Options

I'm so glad I found this thread - this problem has been driving me mad for ages!
    Thanks for the info on the workaround. I look forward to not having to use it once the update to the Production version of the 1Password extension comes out!

• Hey @Djelibeybi,

So sorry for the disruption caused by this issue, thank you for your patience!

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello folks,

We're testing a fix for an issue where you couldn’t download files from Dropbox when 1Password for Safari was turned on in the beta version of 1Password in the browser. If you're interested in trying the beta version then you can find instructions here: Use 1Password beta releases

If testing in the beta goes well then the team hopes to release the fix to the stable version of 1Password in the browser as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or feedback then please let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• delfuego
    delfuego
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Confirmed, at least for me — I can now download docs from Dropbox again! Hallelujah! :)

• Dave_1P
    edited April 23
    Options

@delfuego

Thank you for the confirmation that you're no longer seeing the issue when using the beta version of 1Password in the browser! Hopefully the fix makes it to the stable version soon. 🙂

-Dave

• skyisthelimit
    skyisthelimit
    Community Member
    Options

Very nice to hear, any ETA on the production channel for this fix? Thanks!

• The fix has been included in our upcoming 2.23.2 release :)

We’ve fixed an issue where you couldn’t download files from Dropbox when 1Password for Safari was turned on.

We submitted this release to all of the app stores. Now we just need to wait for them to approve!