deselect credit cards on shared computer

Options
KazuT
KazuT
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Business and Teams

I use 1password on a shared computer at work. I know I can deselect certain archives in Settings. Is there a way to deselect credit cards so they aren't accessible to others when 1password is unlocked?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @KazuT,

You can deselect vaults so that saved items contained in said vaults won't appear in suggestions when on a website sign-in page or field asking for your credit card information:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser and select Settings.
    2. Scroll down to Accounts & Vaults.
    3. Deselect the vaults containing the credit card items you don't wish to be used.

That said, there isn't a way to completely hide these items within the 1Password 8 app or extension popup when unlocked. Those items can still be searched and viewed by anyone with physical access to the computer in front of them.

If that doesn't help, could you go into more detail about your use case? Are you and a colleague using the same user within 1Password on your shared device, for example?

• KazuT
    KazuT
    Community Member
    Options

I know about hiding vaults. Is there a way to hide credit cards?

• Hello @KazuT,

1Password isn't intended to be used in shared workspaces, where multiple people are accessing the same login profile on a device, and need access to different 1Password data. If a 1Password account is unlocked, the vaults it has access to are decrypted, and anyone using the device can access those vaults until 1Password is locked. To prevent this, you may wish to lock 1Password entirely, or sign out of 1Password, as it's not possible to hide data in a way that it could not be accessed.

If each user can have their own profile on the device, you could then make use of those profiles to log out of the device, and another user could log in where they can sign into their own 1Password account and not share 1Password with you. This would then allow you to keep credit cards in your private vault, or in a shared vault where permissions can be enforced, so that users who should not access the vault do not see it when they sign in to 1Password.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have an questions.

Thank you,

• KazuT
    KazuT
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1password set to lock on my computer after 10 minutes, so at least it's password protected. I like the option under Settings to deselect certain vaults and not make them easily available. I was wondering if a similar tool could be implemented with credit cards. Since most of my passwords are unique ones created by 1password, it's impossible for me to remember them at work without using the 1password extension.

• Hi @KazuT,

Aside from the suggestions previously shared earlier in the thread, there isn't a way to deselect only credit cards. You did mention setting a short auto-lock time, which is a good move and will help protect against people accessing your items, provided you're not sharing the same login profile. My suggestions to manually lock 1Password if you anticipate leaving the room or your device if you want to complete confidence no one can view or access your saved credit cards.

This discussion has been closed.