How to add extension to Safari

Options
ajahn
ajahn
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

My favorite browser is Chrome and it has the 1Password browser extension. Today I needed to use Safri and realized that I never installed the 1Password extension. Not sure how to do that. Can someone please help?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @ajahn! 👋

Thanks for the question. You can install 1Password for Safari from the Mac App Store: ‎1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store

Let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

-Dave

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Do I do it inside of Safari or outside of it?

• Please open 1Password for Safari at least once and follow the directions being sure to allow it access to all sites. We need that permission to perform the following on your behalf.

• The ability to scan (read) the page HTML to determine if it’s fillable. This also tells us where/when to inject the inline menu.

• The ability to autofill (write) to the site. While performing an autofill, it effectively changes the HTML. When you submit the autofill, it will allow you to authenticate it properly.

There is no need to add 1Password for Safari to your login items or Dock. It only needs to be opened once for the initial configuration. From then on it can live silently in your Applications folder.

• It would be outside and live in your Applications folder.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Boy, I really don't like the way 1Password works in Safari. It like asks me for my finger print for each field. That is weird. Also, when I used my Amazon password I got an error "Something went wrong:" message. Very strange. I will try other websites just to see if Amazon is weird or not.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

I see what's going on. i think the built-in password manager in Safari is interfering with my 1Password.
    Can you point me to instructions on turning that off?

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

That worked perfectly. Thanks for all your help!

• You're most welcome.

This discussion has been closed.