Trouble using passkey on Amazon's website

Options
Mork
Mork
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I just created a passkey for Amazon.com.
1Password's entry for amazon.com says that a passkey was saved, but where exactly is it?
In 1P?
When I go to login to Amazon (after removing other 2FA) there is no prompt to click anything to read the passkey. I'm just logged in after entering the regular password.
How do I know the PassKey is also being read?
Thanks

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Mork! πŸ‘‹

Thanks for the question! Just like with your passwords, your passkeys are also stored in 1Password and protected using the same end-to-end encryption and security. Once saved in 1Password, you'll have access to that passkey in the 1Password app on all of your devices.

Once you've saved a passkey for your Amazon account in 1Password, you'll click on the Sign in with a passkey button on Amazon's website that's located beneath the password field:

You can find more information about using passkeys here: Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser

Let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see the "Sign in with a passkey" even though both Amazon says one is saved and 1P says the same thing.

Do I need to start over and create one anew?

Shouldn't the password be required in addition to the passkey not optionally instead of it?

Thanks

• @Mork

Thanks for the reply. Your passkey replaces your password. Did you follow the steps listed here to save your passkey: https://passkeys.directory/details/amazon/

If you did then would you be able to post a screenshot of the section on Amazon's website that says that you've setup a passkey for your Amazon account? Make sure that nothing sensitive is visible in the screenshot.

-Dave

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi Dave,

I got the passkey installed and working again using Safari. In Safari, I did see the Passkey prompt.

However, I think the Amazon model is totally wrong if I understand it.

I was able to log in to Amazon using the regular password "OR" the passkey.

It SHOULD BE this way:

1. Password comes first (or not at all)
    2. Passkey next

If the goal is to eliminate passwords, why is password even an option after you setup the passkey. Makes no sense.

AWS (yes, still Amazon, but different) works this way (no either Password or Passkey).

You log in to AWS and then still have to use your Yubikey (after password). That flow is how it should be (or no password at all).

If all sites act like Amazon with Passkeys (Password or Passkey), yikes!, I'll stick to Yubikeys.

Thanks,

• @Mork

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to log in to Amazon using the regular password "OR" the passkey.

This looks to be how Amazon is currently rolling out passkeys, probably because passkeys aren't supported on every device yet so you'll still need your password in some places.

I would recommend sending feedback to Amazon to let them know that you'd like the ability to turn off your password for Amazon entirely once a passkey has been created. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

That makes sense, of course, but after my posting about this above, I realized that "no way" would Amazon have anything from preventing the user from being able to log in and spend money. Therefore, if they didn't see this security hole already (big enough to drive a truck through...), nothing I can say will make any difference.
    With Amazon (and others), it's all about the Benjamins....

Too bad they don't support Yubikeys like AWS does.

(So, sadly, the known password will probably always be an option.)

• @Mork

Thanks for the reply. You can still use the passkey to login exclusively and take advantage of the phishing protection offered by passkeys since your passkey can only be used on the Amazon website.

As for the password, make sure that it's strong and unique: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

-Dave

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Yep, I also have the least-secure option (SIM Swap Potential) enabled also: SMS text.

• Thanks for the reply @Mork, it's great to hear you are taking things seriously when it comes to securing your account!

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Sadly, though, the SIM-based authentication is not very secure. I wish everyone adopted Yubikey, my preference. I'm sure this is probably not universally true, but it seems currently that all sites, more or less, that offer Passkeys also offer hardware keys.

• @Mork

Thanks for the reply. Why not just use the TOTP authenticator app option for two-factor authentication? I'm not sure that I understand why you enabled the SMS option if you agree that it is less secure.

-Dave

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Cool, I didn't know what was an option on regular Amazon. That fixed me up! Thanks, Dave. :)

• @Mork, on behalf on Dave you are most welcome.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

• davidpaul
    davidpaul
    Community Member
    Options

So I used to be able to see "Sign in with a Passkey" button the Amazon login screen that is shown by Dave_1P, but it no longer shows up for me. I have done all kinds of things to re-enable it. I have removed my passkey and recreated it. I have disabled two factor and re-enabled it. I have made 1P my primary two factor setting for OTP. I have tried no 2FA setup. I have readded passkey, which I see on Amazon and my 1P account. I am located in the U.S. It was there before, but now, it no longer appears. Any advice?

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with Firefox: I never see the Passkey option anywhere with Firefox.

Try Safari, or, if on Windows, another browser and see if that helps.

With Safari, I get the either Password or Passkey dialog displayed. Still silly to me that you don't have to first log on and then further authenticate with passkey, but I bet Amazon made a business decision to make sure you can log in and buy stuff passkey or not...

• Hey @davidpaul, @Mork,

Can you let me know if passkeys are working with 1Password on other sites for you or if it's just Amazon you are having issues with?

• davidpaul
    davidpaul
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I am able to use Passkeys on other sites. Just looked at Amazon again before submitting this reply and still not seeing the passkey option for login.