Add passkey AND two-factor authentication to logins

Options
reck
reck
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password told me I could add a passkey to my YouTube account which i've now done, but it now tells me I can add two-factor authentication and I get the alert on the login whenever I view it.

Don't passkeys mean that 2FA are no longer required or is the recommendation to add passkeys and two-factor authentication to every account that supports it? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @reck! 👋

Thanks for the question! Unlike passwords, you can’t create a weak passkey. Passkeys are generated by your device using a public-private key pair, which makes them strong and unique by default. Passkeys can’t be phished like a traditional password because the underlying private key never leaves 1Password – this also makes them resistant to social engineering scams.

Two-factor authentication was designed to add an additional layer of protection to passwords against phishing. Passkeys are already resistant to phishing and can be considered to have the same level of security as a password plus two-factor authentication, with a lot less friction.

That being said, as far as I'm aware Youtube will still allow you to log in using your password and there isn't yet an option to get rid of your password entirely. There are also some devices or websites that might not yet support passkeys so keeping your password for now, protected with two-factor authentication, is a good idea.

-Dave

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thanks. I’ll keep that in mind while I’m still using passwords.

• Hey @reck,

On behalf of David, you're welcome.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you out with.

-Evon