Email: "New 1Password sign-in from Safari"

Options
Valcoeur
Valcoeur
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I just received an email titled "New 1Password sign-in from Safari". What caught my eye was that the location was noted as "Minnesota". No one in our family is anywhere near MN. Time to worry or ???

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016047)
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: MacOS 14.0
Browser: Safari Version 17.0

Comments

• @Valcoeur

It's pretty likely that you're receiving new device alerts because of Apple's new iCloud Private Relay, available in iOS 15 and higher, as well as macOS Monterey and higher.

These alerts can happen when you access 1Password on the web, but more commonly, they can also be sent by 1Password's new Web Extension, also introduced for iOS 15. That extension works in the background, and so alerts may seem to come in at "random."

In any case, that's the most likely situation. I've encountered it myself and I once had a login from California. I'm no where near there.

• Valcoeur
    Valcoeur
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks
    Looking back at the “new sign in” alerts I noticed the ones related to a specific device (iPhone, iPad, Mac mini) are all tagged to the appropriate location. It’s the ones related to Safari that come from some surprising locations.

• @Valcoeur

Thanks for the additional details. Are you using Apple's "Private Relay" feature in Safari? It can disguise your location: About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support (CA)

Private relay would affect your logins from Safari but not from the 1Password app itself (which doesn't use Private Relay).

-Dave

• Valcoeur
    Valcoeur
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I do have private relay activated. To be honest I totally forgot about it even though it was a recent addition.
    Mystery of the ether solved.

Thanks

• Let us know if you have any other questions in the future. 🙂

-Dave