1Password for Safari isn't working on macOS 14.2 BETA

Options
TheJOlivier
TheJOlivier
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I just updated both of my Macs last night (Developer Beta 14.2) and the Safari extension simply does not work anymore. Can't unlock. It only opens a blank screen when I try to either unlock or access settings.

1Password Version: 18.10.20
Extension Version: 2.16.0
OS Version: macOS 14.2
Browser: Safari 17.2

Comments

• Hello @TheJOlivier! 👋

Thank you for reporting the issue. This is an issue in the latest macOS beta and the webkit team has identified and fixed this problem in Safari for a future release.

Please keep macOS updated, hopefully the fix is released in a future macOS beta update soon.

For the time being, you can use 1Password in another browser or use Universal Autofill to fill credentials into Safari: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#25725

• phoenix1386
    phoenix1386
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Dave! Hoping for a Tuesday relief. ;)

• FlightMedic376
    FlightMedic376
    Community Member
    Options

Came here for this answer. Just updated to 14.2 Public beta and was scratching my head as why safari extension isn't working.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

Glad 1Password is on top of this. I reported it as feedback last night to 1Password and to Apple. I wonder if a fix will show up in Webkit nightlies?

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

I am able to use the 1Password extension in the latest Safari Technology Preview, Release 181 (Safari 17.4, WebKit 19618.1.3.1).

• Hey @TheJOlivier, @phoenix1386, @FlightMedic376, @mirv,

We have had some reports that clearing Safari's history has got things back on track. Here are the steps if you'd like to give it a try:

1. Open Safari. Click "History" in the macOS menu bar and select "Clear History".
    2. Once that's done, restart Safari by clicking "Safari" > "Quit Safari" then reopen Safari.

Thank you for your patience.

• phoenix1386
    phoenix1386
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, can confirm this works. I had previously used Onyx utility to clean out gunk from the system, including all from Safari. Apparently, it is not working as exhaustively as the Safari's own 'Clear History' option. Did this, restarted Safari, and everything seems to work normally for now.

Thank you, @steph.giles for mentioning this!

• Thanks for the update @phoenix1386, I'm glad things are back on track!

• TheJOlivier
    TheJOlivier
    Community Member
    Options

Nope... doesn't work here.

• @TheJOlivier

Can you clarify if you reset all or a portion of your history?

• FlightMedic376
    FlightMedic376
    Community Member
    Options

Safari > Clear History > All history. Worked for me.

• TheJOlivier
    TheJOlivier
    Community Member
    Options

I cleared all history. Quit Safari, restarted. The only thing that happened was now I have to re-login to everything...

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    Options

Me too, 1Password for Safari is back! And I only cleared history for the past hour.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

This did work for me also. Though it made me log in to my 1Password.com account on Safari (with email/password/secret key) before the extension would open, which I've never had to do before.

• Thank you for the update @FlightMedic376, @r8ders2k, @mirv.

@TheJOlivier, can you try a reinstall of 1Password for Safari and let me know if it improves things?

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Manage Extension > Uninstall
    2. Install a fresh copy from here: 1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store
    3. Quit Safari and then reopen it to test to see if you can click on the 1Password icon.

Let us know how it goes!

• TheJOlivier
    TheJOlivier
    Community Member
    Options

I did that as well, also no positive result.

• jaws56
    jaws56
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

**Okay--nevermind! It just now started working again, (although I hadn't done anything between the time of my post and just trying to log into the website I'd been using to test on again)--and this time it worked on that website, as well as a few others I just tried. Who knows why?

I am having the same problem. I cleared my complete Safari history, uninstalled and then reinstalled the extension, and although this time the extension did finally unlock, no log-in or password suggestions appear on any website. It also won't "auto-fill" on any website. This all started after my recent update to the public beta of macOS 14.2

• mhack
    mhack
    Community Member
    Options

if you use a safari non default profile the extension work well

• @TheJOlivier

Sorry to hear that the reinstallation didn't work for you. Can you also try clearing Safari's history? And then, completely quit Safari by right-clicking(ctrl + click) its icon in the Dock area and selecting "Quit". Next, restart Safari to see if it works.

@jaws56

Regarding your "auto-fill" issue, does it persist after restart Safari or your Mac? The auto-fill function would be impacted when we clear Safari's history.

@mhack

Thanks for that. May I confirm if the non default profile is recently created after the update?

• TheJOlivier
    TheJOlivier
    Community Member
    Options

I've gone through all the steps listed here, none have worked.

• @TheJOlivier

Have you tried it in a new profile in Safari? If it sill doesn't work, I'd appreciate your patience for the next macOS update to fix this specific issue.

• mhack
    mhack
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

@kevin.li

I have tried with a new profile and one created some time ago, and the extension works in both. In the screenshot, the window at the bottom is the default profile

• NateHott
    NateHott
    Community Member
    Options

Clearing history worked for me. I then went into Time Machine and restored the four Safari history files. My history is intact and 1Password is working.

• planetf1
    planetf1
    Community Member
    Options

I initially assumed it was just me - but I have been continuing to use Safari Technology preview just fine (was also mentioned above).

• jdawgnoonan
    jdawgnoonan
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I have tried everything. I have turned 1Password on and off, I have removed the Safari extension and reinstalled it. The only thing that I have not tried is removing 1Password completely and reinstalling. The primary symptom of the issue is that opening the extension from the toolbar in Safari opens an empty tab.

_1Password Version:1Password for Mac 8.10.18 (81018040)
    _Extension Version: 2.16.0
    _OS Version: Mac OS 14.2 Beta (23C5030f)

• zebdro
    zebdro
    Community Member
    Options

I think I may be suffering from this same issue. Can someone knowledgeable please help clarify for me? I'd like to learn if I can fix this or if I need to rely on alternate browsers or alternate pw management for the time being.
    I recorded this screencast to demonstrate https://app.usebubbles.com/2ao14k7tmNer1oxM3cWW3p/1-password-extension-unable-to-be-unlocked-in-safari.
    Mac 14.2
    Safari 17.2
    1P Extension 2.16.0
    1Password for Mac 8.10.18 (81018040)
    Thank you

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

1Password for Safari stopped working today. It cannot be unlocked. When I click the toolbar icon it opens an empty tab. Reinstalled it, but at no avail.

• olson
    olson
    Community Member
    Options

I have the exact same problem and it is pretty annoying. I followed every troubleshooting advice from the knowledge base and nothing fixed the issue.

System details:
    MacBook Air M1
    macOS Sonoma 14.2
    Safari 17.2

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue. I'd only note that I installed the latest (beta) version of Mac OS Sonoma (Version 14.2 Beta (23C5030f)) shortly before this issue began.

• arrtz3
    arrtz3
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue
    here is a video of the problem that I observed