Feature: Separate field for PIN-codes

Options
svish
svish
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Lounge

I have various PIN-codes stored in my 1Password. They are digit only, have a predefined length I cannot change, and I find it rather annoying that every single one of them are marked as exposed, weak, and/or vulnerable "passwords" by the Watchtower.

The 3 digit code on my suitcase, the 4 digit code on my VISA-card, the 4 digit code for my ID-card to get into my office … none of these can be "made stronger" in any way, and marking them as "leaked" or "exposed" doesn't really make any sense whatsoever either. Like, of course my 3 digit suitcase code exists in some list of exposed passwords, but how is that useful to me in any way?

Please give me a way to add PIN-fields (or whatever they should be called) to my items. Maybe even a PIN-item as well, similar to the Password-item, to make it easy to add something with just a name and a PIN.

1Password Version: N/A
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: N/A
Browser: N/A

Comments

• Hello @svish! 👋

Thanks for the feedback. You can ignore the Watchtower warning for an item using one of the 1Password apps:

Once you've selected Ignore, that item will no longer be flagged by Watchtower.

Alternatively, you can add a custom field to an item and store your PIN in the custom field. Custom fields are not flagged by Watchtower:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password app.
    2. Click on an item and click Edit.
    3. Click + add more.
    4. Click Password.
    5. Enter your PIN into the custom field.
    6. Remove the PIN from any other field where it might have been saved and then click Save.

You can read more about custom fields here: Customize your 1Password items

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• svish
    svish
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I know I can manually ignore them, but with a separate field type for these short numeric codes, I wouldn't have to. When ignoring they're also still in a list of ignored issues, which I don't like.

• @svish

Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried saving a PIN in a custom field using the steps in my previous reply? Would that work better for you?

-Dave

• svish
    svish
    Community Member
    Options

Your steps use the a Password-field, and it's already in a Password-field.

• @svish

Thanks for the reply. The default password field included in an item is monitored and flagged by Watchtower, this is why you're seeing PIN codes stored in this field flagged as weak or vulnerable.

A custom "password" field, added using the steps in my first reply, is not monitored and flagged by Watchtower which means that you can add PIN codes to a custom field and not see a Watchtower notification/banner.

-Dave

• svish
    svish
    Community Member
    Options

Um, what? Other password fields are not monitored? Why in the world not? So if I have multiple password fields for whatever reason, only one of them are checked for leaks and such?

• @svish

Thank you for the reply. Only the default password field in an item is included in Watchtower, that being said I've let the team know that you'd like to see the other password fields covered as well in the future.

I've also filed a feature request for a dedicated PIN code field, for now I'd recommend either ignoring the Watchtower warning if you put the PIN code into the default password field or using a custom field to store the PIN code.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-36590436
    ref: PB-36590482

• svish
    svish
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks, sounds great. If nothing else, it should at least be a lot clearer that some fields are special. I've always thought a password field was a password field, and the only thing special about one of them is that it's at the top of the item.

Honestly, I find it a bit difficult to understand the difference between the types of items. I've thought they were just "presets" kind of. That for example the Login-item is not different from the Password-item, except the first one has a website section setup already.

Maybe just me who have apparently been confused by this 🤷‍♂️

• @svish

The different item categories can be thought of as "templates" that contain a certain combination of fields, that can each hold various types of information, that the 1Password team thought would be most relevant to that type of item.

You can read more about categories here: 1Password item categories

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave