1Password in safari does not unlock, under any circumstances

Options
helmeh
helmeh
Community Member
edited December 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Dear community,

I have been facing a problem for a few weeks or maybe months now: 1Password in Safari does not unlock. It prompts me to open 1Password, like in the screenshot, but a press of that button says for a brief second "Unlocking..." and then turns again into that button.

I have seen other threads on this forum, where a full reinstall of 1password and the browser extension is suggested. That didn't help. Another thing suggested, deleting all the website data in Safari, did not help either.

The same problem is present in the iOS-Version of the Safari Browser extension. I can paste in my logins on MacOS Using the systemwide integration, on iOS using the Passwords-Integration in Safari. But the standalone plugins don't seem to work at all.

Can you help me get those to work? I feel quite frustrated, since I had a good thing running and now it seems everything is just a bit harder or a click more cumbersome.

Kind regards
Helmut

1Password Version: 8.10.22
Extension Version: 2.18.0
OS Version: 14.2 Beta (23C5055b)
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @helmeh! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with 1Password for Safari on both your Mac and iOS device. Let's start with the Mac and, once that issue is resolved, I can help you with your iOS device as well. 🙂

I see that you're using the macOS beta, there was an issue in some of the beta versions that caused problems with 1Password for Safari. That issue has since been resolved but you may need to follow these steps to get things working again:

1. Update to macOS 14.2 beta 3 or later. Don't skip this step.
    2. Clear Safari's history/cache:

Instructions on how to clear the history/cache:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Click "History" in the macOS menu bar and select "Clear History" to clear all history.
    3. Close all open web browsers, including Safari.
    4. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    5. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Applications folder.
    6. Open Safari.

Let me know if following these steps in order resolves the issue for you. If it doesn't then I can help further.

-Dave