Minor Bug - Notification about Autofill being turned off in 1P for Browser does not go away

Options

It's very minor, not even sure I'd call it a bug so much as a nuisance. With 1Password in the Browser, on Firefox, whenever I start the browser I get a notification that "Filling and saving passwords is turned off". This is correct, I do have it turned off (personal preference; I only want fields filled when I explicitly say so). So yeah, I choose Dismiss on that notification.

Problem is, next time I open the browser? Notification is there again. And again. And again. It's not permanently dismissable. This seems to have started with the recent Firefox plug-in version 2.20.x releases. That's when I first noticed it, and usually I notice notifications quickly. I'm seeing this across desktop operating systems (Windows, Mac).

Comments

• Hello @Mousit! 👋

I'm sorry that you're seeing an unwanted notification. Can you clarify how you turned off filling and saving for 1Password in the browser? Did you turn off "Offer to fill and save passwords" using the following steps:

1. Open Firefox and unlock 1Password.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Click Autofill.
    4. Toggle "Offer to fill and save passwords".

Let me know if you did something else. Can you also post a screenshot of the message that you're seeing?

This is correct, I do have it turned off (personal preference; I only want fields filled when I explicitly say so).

Even when "Offer to fill and save passwords" is turned on, 1Password will only fill fields on your explicit request and it will never fills fields automatically. Can you tell me a little more about you concerns?

-Dave

• Mousit
    Mousit
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Yep, that's how I turned it off. Couple screenshots included, of the notification and of my settings. Both cropped to keep out identifying info.

I click on "Dismiss" and it goes away, but next time (and every time) I start up the browser this notification is there again.

Yeah I have them all turned off. That's just how I like it.

As for why I turn it off, that was poorly worded on my part. It's not a security concern, it's just a case of.. I don't need "offers" for what 1P can do. I know when I want it to autofill, or to save, and I'll tell it so when I do. Pop-ups to remind/suggest are simply unnecessary for me, and they're a distraction. Maybe I don't want to log in right then, so I don't want 1P giving me a pop-up offering to do so. It's more a case of UI de-clutter, if you will.

Hardly limited to 1P; I disable a lot of reminder/suggestion/pop-up stuff in apps, and the OS itself for that matter.

• @Mousit

Thank you for those additional details. I see the same behaviour in Firefox on my Mac and I've also reproduced the issue in other browsers like Chrome. I've filed an internal work item with our development team so that they can investigate further. Thank you for reporting the issue!

I don't need "offers" for what 1P can do. I know when I want it to autofill, or to save, and I'll tell it so when I do. Pop-ups to remind/suggest are simply unnecessary for me, and they're a distraction. Maybe I don't want to log in right then, so I don't want 1P giving me a pop-up offering to do so. It's more a case of UI de-clutter, if you will.

I appreciate you sharing your use case and thoughts. I can definitely see your perspective. Out of curiosity, have you considered just turning off "Show autofill suggestions when a form field is in focus"? This would prevent suggestions from appearing until you click on the 1Password icon in a username/password field. Or did you not want the 1Password icon to appear either?

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27849

• Mousit
    Mousit
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

I appreciate you sharing your use case and thoughts. I can definitely see your perspective.

Just to add to that, perspective-wise. Quite a lot of sites have their login fields right on the front page, and also default to the username field being the first focus once the page loads, so suggestion pop-ups can be annoyingly frequent depending on which sites one regularly browses.

I'm perhaps also among the less common users in that I always log out, and all cookies are cleared whenever my browser is closed, so I'm never logged in to any site I go to, initially. I only log in if it's actually necessary for whatever I'm doing. So, for those login-fields-on-frontpage type sites, you can see how that could make for even more frequent login suggestion pop-ups.

Out of curiosity, have you considered just turning off "Show autofill suggestions when a form field is in focus"? This would prevent suggestions from appearing until you click on the 1Password icon in a username/password field. Or did you not want the 1Password icon to appear either?

I hadn't really even thought about that, truth be told. It just became habit to disable suggestions entirely whenever I set up the extension, even in older days before it was 1P in the Browser. It's pretty much muscle-memory to either use the keyboard shortcut, or hit the main Extension icon up in the top-right of the browser bar, because that location is always consistent--whereas everyone's login page is formatted differently so the input fields (and the 1P icon in them) can be all over the place as far as location on the screen.

Since using autofill from keyboard shortcut or from main Extension icon doesn't actually require me to click on the input fields first to make them focus (assuming they aren't already by default), I don't even have to really pay attention to where the fields are on the screen, or the in-field 1P icon. To be honest, because of the fact that I don't use the in-field icon in favor of the main Extension icon, I hadn't even noticed it wasn't there.

I wasn't deliberately looking to remove the icon from the input fields though, no, only turn off the automatic suggestion pop-ups. I'll flip those first two settings around (on and off, respectively) and see how that goes!

• @Mousit

I appreciate your detailed reply. Clearing cookies when closing the browser is something that I know a lot of people do, although it's certainly a minority. I'm happy that 1Password provides options that work with this use case by allowing you to hide the 1Password icon or prevent suggestions from appearing on the page. If there's anything else that we can do to support this use case then please don't hesitate to let me know and I'll get that passed along to the team.

For the time being, the notifications issue that you've reported has been filed with our development team and hopefully will be resolved in a future update soon. 🙂

-Dave