Safari Mac extension doesn't activate or logs me out

Options
olisturm
olisturm
Community Member
edited March 26 in 1Password in the Browser

I wonder if this is a problem that should be tracked in detail... basically, in recent weeks it's been rare for the extension to simply work correctly without any hassle.

Here are two issues I see frequently.

1. Extension does not active when in a login form, possibly clicking on the 1Password icon. Switching to a different app and then back to Safari resolves this.

2. I'm suddenly logged out of the 1Password extension. Using the toolbar button, I can bring up the popup window, but it asks me to enter my password instead of using a fingerprint login. I don't think I've actually attempted to do this at the time since 1Password itself remains available and I can use the system-wide shortcut key to search and fill -- the 1Password extension eventually starts working properly again after a machine reboot or similar.

And just now, while I was signing up for an account in this very forum, I had a new one. This is interesting since I have just restarted my system twice after the 14.4 update today, updated all apps, fixed an OBS problem, restarted again... and the 1Password extension was still not working correctly. This is what I saw happening:

1. Create new account on this site
  2. Enter email address, tab to password field
  3. Nothing happens...
  4. Switch to different app and back. Suddenly the 1Password popup appears to suggest a password. I accept it.
  5. The "save new login" 1Password dialog appears, but there's no password filled in!
  6. I close the dialog, notice that the password field is also empty. The popup comes back up, and once more accept the password. This time I confirm to save the new login.
  7. I check the login in the 1Password application, there is no password included.
  8. I generate a password in the app, copy&paste into the window to create my forum account.

Please let me know if I can help with details about other processes I see failing, or details about my setup. For now I'm assuming that the extension must be work in progress at this time and the problems are known...

Thanks
Oli

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: 14.4
Browser: Safari

Comments

• olisturm
    olisturm
    Community Member
    Options

One more scenario that I just encountered again:

• I'm filling in a login form, 1Password icon shows that the app is locked
    • I click the icon and 1Password unlocks. The icon now shows that it's not locked anymore.
    • Nothing else happens, so I click the 1Password icon. Still, nothing happens.
    • I click the 1Password button in the toolbar and I see the correct record for the site I'm trying to log in (that's https://sessionize.com in this case, with a "classic" login, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this elsewhere, and Sessionize has previously worked correctly as well)
    • Whatever I do, I can't make the extension fill the fields using the in-browser UI
    • Eventually I use the system-wide keystroke (Shift-Command-Space), the 1Password window pops up with the correct item already selected, fills the Safari fields correctly in no time.

That extension... like I said. Pointless. But this is a problem of only a few recent weeks or months! Please fix!

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello, @olisturm. Thank you for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're encountering with 1Password.

Based on what you shared, it sounds like you might be running into a known issue that we're tracking with 1Password for Safari. So that I can confirm you're running into the known issue, I’d like to request that you send us some information to support+forum@1Password.com.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I’ll be able to locate your message and make sure it’s gotten to the right place.

We look forward to assisting you further.

-Evon

ref: dev/core/core#28250

• olisturm
    olisturm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @EvonG1P - I sent the email as requested, the id is ESH-49394-132.

I decided to limit myself to the case I described in my last message, the follow-up to my initial message. This is something I was able to reproduce in my currently running Safari. If it helps, I can systematically restart things and document all the various states I see, but I'd like to hear back from you first and find out whether you're interested in detailed reports like that.

Thanks
    Oli

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hey @olisturm, thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I'm interested in detailed reports, that would be very helpful.

I've located your support ticket and we will get in touch with you as soon as possible about this issue. Let's continue the conversation there, I'm closing this thread to prevent duplication of effort. 🙂

-Evon

ref: ESH-49394-132

This discussion has been closed.