Experiment 6: Secure Snippets

Mitch
edited October 1 in Labs

1Password can already fill your logins, addresses, and credit cards. So we asked ourselves: why stop there? Introducing our newest Labs creation: Secure Snippets.

Fill any text, anywhere

With secure snippets, 1Password can fill anything you want it to, anywhere you need it, using a keyboard shortcut. Snippets can be filled (expanded) into any app or webpage on your Mac. To get started, create a snippet: New Item > Snippet.

Read the Secure Snippets guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TjWdarf3XH_0vQWpU40Gv0Jk5_Gm49LGYjRDlP6svzQ/

We'd love to hear from you

Do secure snippets gel with the way you use 1Password? What kinds of features would you like to see? Where we take this experiment and others like it depends on your feedback and insights.

Take our survey: https://www.1passwordresearchcommunity.com/c/a/5Wtj1EXTH2ACP3ABiMpta4

Comments

• Hey Community friends! Anyone using Secure Snippets yet? We'd love to hear from you!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

This is the first time I've noticed this new lab (rather busy this year I guess).

I'm trying to think of how I can use this. I have a few snippets in the Alfred App, but nothing confidential.

I can think of content for one snippet, but since snippets are not available on a mobile device, the use is too limited. A Secure Note is more convenient for the purpose in this case.

I personally just don't have many pieces of confidential data that on a regular basis would benefit from auto-fill.

• Thanks for checking out our new experiment, MrC. It's only been out for a few days so you were actually quick to notice it. ;)

For me, snippets fill a middle ground between information that is overtly security-sensitive (credentials) and information that clearly isn't. The type of info I would keep in a 1Password secure note, except that snippets are fillable and have some structure to them.

For example, I'm using snippets at work to store internal links, CLI commands, troubleshooting steps, and various kinds of short templates, which I can then quickly fill into a Slack DM or any one of our internal SaaS tools. These snippets contain information that is pseudo-sensitive: identifiers, URLs, rules, and procedures which I wouldn't really want to be public, but which still need to be communicated with ease to different audiences.

For personal life, I've been using snippets to fill data that would't cleanly fit into a fillable item of that needs to be filled into places that aren't really "login forms" e.g. my bank account number and a couple of CLI commands that have env variables with secrets in them.

• pgaa
    pgaa
    Community Member
    edited October 15

I have a snippet like this ex..

Name Nameson
    Hollywood Drive 0
    8998 North Pole

• 90 000 0 00

When I use my shortcut in Gmail for example the results being like this

Name NamesonHollywoodDrive8998NorthPole......

Everything adds up to one line, whats wrong ? I guess this should be straight forward when its plain text

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

on your Mac

Are you back to "Mac first"? This is a feature useful for every platform, I guess.

• Are you back to "Mac first"? This is a feature useful for every platform, I guess.

@Tertius3 in general we want feature parity for every platform we support. Since this is still a Labs project (early stage experiment), we wanted to get it out and start getting feedback as soon as possible and we had space with out Mac developers to get the MVP live. If there's enough demand for Snippets in general, you'll see it EVERYWHERE you use 1Password :)