Console error: "Retrieving "b5x-stateful-inline-icon" flag errored: timed out" [Fixed in the beta]

Options
2»

Comments

• thijs
    thijs
    Community Member
    Options

How long will this take? It's very annoying and it shouldn't take a month to prevent something from loading that appears to be missing anyway...

• mattbeck
    mattbeck
    Community Member
    Options

This is getting seriously old. There's no reason for an issue like this to take so long to get fixed. Come on guys!

• Dave_1P
    Options

A fix is being tested in the nightly version of 1Password in the browser. If you're using Chrome, and want to take advantage of the fix right away, then you can switch to the nightly: 1Password Nightly – Password Manager

I've let our development know that you're eager to see the fix make it to the stable version as soon as possible. I'm sorry for the inconvenience that the noise is causing.

-Dave

• Roenfeldt
    Roenfeldt
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P how about Firefox?

• Dave_1P
    edited April 19
    Options

@Roenfeldt

There isn't a nightly version of 1Password for Firefox available. However, the team is working to get a beta with the fix released as soon as possible.

For anyone worried about the issue, there shouldn't be any observable impact except for that log line, so there's no need to worry if you're seeing this error. I do understand how the repeated message can be inconvenient to developers and I'm sorry again for the noise.

-Dave

• dilenio
    dilenio
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here on Chrome!

• mwmdev
    mwmdev
    Community Member
    Options

Still waiting on this on Firefox.
    This should be a hotfix on the same day!

• prathers
    prathers
    Community Member
    Options

I'm amazed by the number of people complaining about this.

For anyone worried about the issue, there shouldn't be any observable impact except for that log line, so there's no need to worry if you're seeing this error. I do understand how the repeated message can be inconvenient to developers and I'm sorry again for the noise.

Does anyone give the devs a chance? Or read the posts above their own?

• mozey
    mozey
    Community Member
    Options

Both Firefox and Chrome on macOS have the following error in the Developer Tools Console when the 1Password extension is enabled:

Retrieving "b5x-stateful-inline-icon" flag errored: timed out - falling back

Firefox 125.0.1 (64-bit)
    Chrome Version 124.0.6367.60 (Official Build) (arm64)

1Password Version: 8.10.30
    Extension Version: 2.22.1
    OS Version: macOS 14.4.1
    Browser: Chrome, Firefox

• nciiis
    nciiis
    Community Member
    edited April 22
    Options

Retrieving "b5x-stateful-inline-icon" flag errored: timed out - falling back

How do I fix it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: 2.22.1
    OS Version: Mac OS 14.4.1
    Browser: 124.0.2

• pvinis
    pvinis
    Community Member
    Options

this is fixed on the latest beta browser extension.

• Roenfeldt
    Roenfeldt
    Community Member
    Options

@pvinis and where could we download the beta extensions from?

• pvinis
    pvinis
    Community Member
    Options

just search online for "1password extension beta" and there you go :)

• Roenfeldt
    Roenfeldt
    Community Member
    Options

@pvinis nevermind, I found them here https://1password.community/discussion/121114/faq-grab-the-latest-1password-in-the-browser-beta and I can confirm, the darn error is gone!

• mmaass
    mmaass
    Community Member
    edited April 23
    Options

I certainly don't want to unduly increase the pressure ... but are there any news regarding this?

Thing is, the Console displays this error for each an every site. A considerable part of my work includes working with the developer tools to troubleshoot issues with websites. To avoid irritating users I either have to edit screenshots I send them or disable the 1Password add-on and reload the page. Both options add a considerable tedium. And: Something is apparently wrong which needs fixing, is it? :-)

Looking at my fellow posters here, I doubt I am the only one ... so: Pretty please. :-)

• kwyld
    kwyld
    Community Member
    Options

Big +1 for @mmaass 's message here.
    While to us developers an issue retrieving an icon is assumed to be trivial and non-security related, it doesn't sound trivial at all to other users or recipients of screenshots to say "Oh that's just a little error from 1PASSWORD, a security tool, nothing to see there."

Looks like this is solved in the latest beta? Any ETA on releasing a patch version?
    Thanks!

• kwyld
    kwyld
    Community Member
    edited April 23
    Options

@prathers :

I'm amazed by the number of people complaining about this.
    Does anyone give the devs a chance? Or read the posts above their own?

When it comes to support for a widely used piece of software, things are often prioritized based on user satisfaction. User dissatisfaction == less $$$. Without evidence of dis/satisfaction, it's a guess.

While ultimately this is a trivial bug (a missing icon), this thread is abundant evidence that the way the error presents is interrupting 1P's customers' work in various ways. What may have, at first, been considered a low-priority bug now has all this evidence 1P Support can bring to 1P Devs to boost its priority.

On one hand, I understand your call for "giving the devs a chance". Though, many of us here are kindly requesting updates on this.

On the other hand, 1Password is a security tool, and a bug that presents as an error being left this long, especially one that appears to require a simple fix (reference the icon properly), is not a good look for a security tool. Errors in password management software, no matter how trivial they may be or appear, are anxiety-inducing, and validly IMO.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@mmaass, @kwyld, @nciiis, @dilenio

I'm sorry that the issue is affecting your workflows, our team is aware of the impact to customers and a fix has been developed and is currently being tested before it's included in a future update to the stable version of 1Password in the browser.

If you're willing, please try the beta version and let me know if you still see the issue there: Install a beta release of the 1Password browser extension

-Dave

• mmaass
    mmaass
    Community Member
    edited April 23
    Options

@Dave_1P Yes! I installed the beta add-on for Firefox and the error is gone. :-)
    That is a relief! Thank you

By the way: This page here shows several errors in the Console ... but, apparently, none of them is caused by my 1Password beta add-on ... ;-)

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member
    edited April 23
    Options

update - the chrome beta did fix this - thanks

• thijs
    thijs
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P When will this fix go to the stable version? This year it appears there is a release to stable once a month, so we can expect this to be fixed in 1 week?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@mmaass and @dealtek

Thank you for confirming that the beta version has resolved the issue for you both. 🙂

@thijs

The fix is currently being tested in the beta version of 1Password in the browser. If testing goes well, the team is hoping to include the fix in the stable version as soon as possible. But I'm not able to provide an ETA on when that will be. For now, I recommend that you use the beta version if you'd like to benefit from the fix today.

-Dave

• notnotjake
    notnotjake
    Community Member
    Options

oh my god, I didn't realize this was 1Password. nice to know why I am constantly seeing this