Security of browser extension in combination with other extensions like AdGuard, uBlock, Noir, etc.

Options

Hi,

I'm thinking about how secure it is today to use the 1Password extension within the browser along with other extensions?

I read the 1Password security paper and even addressing many points at the end it says, that you have to trust your other extensions fully or just use 1Password within a separate browser profile.

So I made up my mind and was trying to find out ways around, that nearly every other extension can sniff into my passwords.

I found the following ways:

• never use browser extension for 1Password
  • never use other browser extensions (actually I need a few)
  • only use 1Password "Universal Autofill" function
  • on iOS don't use the extension for Safari

Am I too safety-conscious here?

And isn't the built in Apple's iCloud Keychain function more secure than having 1Password browser extension running, as Apple's is baked into the system(s) itself?

Hope to get some help over here.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• TimG1P
    Options

Hi @dragon1

I appreciate you taking the time to read through our security white paper, and I understand that you may have some concerns about how other browser extensions may interact with 1Password in the browser. Rest assured that it was carefully designed with your security in mind and strongly encourage you to read our article About the security of 1Password in your browser

With that being said it's important to keep in mind that any browser extension with full access is able to view a password after it was already filled, regardless of the method used for filling. So you should only grant full access to browser extensions that you know and fully trust since the browser contains a lot of sensitive data and all of your browsing information. If you do require use of such extensions, I recommend installing them in a browser profile that is separate from the one where 1Password is set up.

If you're using Safari as your browser, you can also limit your use of browser extension to ones that don't require full access. For example, there are ad blockers that use Safari's content filter API and do not see or modify web content in the browser.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to address them.