To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Wishes from a new user

Options
Martinspire
Martinspire
Community Member
edited April 22 in Memberships

I've migrated from Bitwarden (and Authy, and Lastpass before that) and here's some things I think 1Password can improve upon:

• Migration from Bitwarden was tedious. I have CSV and JSON exports. Surely you must be able to easily migrate it since there's already that MRC migration script. Won't recommend to my dad and friends before this happens.
  • Unlock app/extension with pincode. I don't really want to use the password unless I really have to and a pincode will be faster. Windows Hello also sometimes fails for people, so a between solution would be nice for PC.
  • The browser icon can/should show how many logins it has for the website, so I can quickly see if I have something saved for this. Either that, or it should already show the icon on the input, so I know what to expect before clicking on it.
  • I dislike that I need to click the field to autofill it, a shortcut (bitwarden uses Ctrl+Alt+E) would be nice so you can use your keyboard entirely and easily.
  • When suggesting a password in a password-change form, it tries to save the password before I pressed save on the form, leading to the problem where you have overwritten the old password and don't have the old one anymore. Allow me to submit it first, before you save it.
  • Automatically generate tags on items so they are automatically categorized
  • Always show field to add 2FA code. When migrating some Authy codes to 1Password, I noticed I needed to show that field every time. Or allow me to view/hide certain fields (I almost never need notes or tags, for example)
  • Dutch translation of very insecure password is "verschrikkelijk" which literally means "terrible". I'd rather see something like "Onveilig" (unsafe) or "Erg onveilig" (very unsafe).
  • Offer "recently used" in sidebar on desktop/browser too. Easily helps you find whatever item you had altered before. When the name of an item changes, it also disappears immediately after saving, so having a way to get back to that, would be nice. Mobile already has it.
  • The 3 dots menu on Windows desktop could be a bit bigger (or adjust better according to scaling)
  • The "new item" would be helpful if it defaults to login with the option to change something else
  • On create new login, it would be handy if there already was a button visible to create a password an not just show after clicking the field.
  • Personally I don't really want to use my password at all and think the "require a password every x days" is kinda [nonsense]*. Can we at least have it timeout after 1 year or something?

Tools that require more work but would be neat:

• Easily combine items. I never really cleaned up my old accounts and have saved a lot of duplicates that I want to get rid of, but can't really easily do that.
  • Find unavailable websites. Getting rid of accounts for sites that no longer exist would be helpful too
  • Similarly finding accounts that no longer work would be nice too. Of course this could have 2 reasons: its blocked (for having a bad password or login leak) or because it has been removed already. I get that this requires a lot of work but again, nice to have.
  • Easily unsubscribe or remove account. Many sites don't offer easy ways to get your account removed and you can build a database of email addresses that can be used to submit a prefilled email to remove an account. Decreasing the amount of account one has, will also increase their security. I think I can remove most of my old accounts with unsafe passwords. Another nice to have.
  • View active sessions somewhere in the app or extension. Having a device be compromised should be easy to spot. Similarly I wouldn't mind if I need to approve a login from another device before it works to have an extra layer of security. I know it has repercussions but I think it can be improved upon.
  • Similarly a solution for "what happens when I die or get hospitalized" situation.

Something I also noticed:

• I had previously done a trial a few times with different accounts. But after the trials I removed the accounts. Now that I'm migrating, I can't use those email accounts and it says an account already exists. Weird.

Long list, I know but I just always have a lot of ideas and wanted to share some. I do like the app, or I wouldn't have jumped ship from Bitwarden (slow mobile app, tedious UI, getting outdated with its current features)

[* Profanity removed by moderator.]

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Martinspire
    Martinspire
    Community Member
    Options

After reconsideration, I've decided to quit my migration after running into various issues and annoyances. Mainly tree reasons:

1. I don't like that I need to use my master password so often to log into the app. I don't really like Windows Hello as much as just using a pin-code to unlock it, and for my home pc I'd rather have it not lock at all. My master password is not something I want to type often since its gibberish and I feel like its not really providing me with much security if I need to use it every day I boot my computer. This was also something I got fed up with on day 4. It felt like the best solution was to write down my master password because typing it was tedious. Granted, I could have changed it and do something like battery horse staple, but that defeats the point of having a very strong password. The password should prevent somebody from signing into the account. Not enabling the account on an already signed in device. The first hurdle to not use my account somewhere else (which is also why I prefer having another device approve said sign-on)

2. On Android I had trouble enabling 2FA and noticed that it wasn't really reliable as much and would still ask for my password (again, with no option for a shorter pin or whatever). On my testing I didn't do all too much on Android, but in my day-to-day it was not the best experience.

3. On Android the biometrics required an extra tap before I could fill in my details and I it made the whole bit take more time than needed. Granted, its faster than Bitwarden still, but not as fast as alternatives. I thought I would get used to that but it was rather annoying.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@Martinspire

Thank you for the feedback. I'll be happy to pass this along to the team. I've touched on a few items below.

Personally I don't really want to use my password at all

The password timeout has been carefully considered by the team to help ensure folks do not forget their password. The password is what encrypts your data. When unlock with passkeys leave beta that might offer a solution that better fits your wishes.

You might also consider using Touch ID or other supported biometrics.

Find unavailable websites. Getting rid of accounts for sites that no longer exist would be helpful too
    Similarly finding accounts that no longer work would be nice too. Of course this could have 2 reasons: its blocked (for having a bad password or login leak) or because it has been removed already. I get that this requires a lot of work but again, nice to have.

We purposely strive to know as little as possible about our users and their data as we can. If this can be accomplished in the future and preserve your privacy it might be something the team could look into.