๐Ÿ”“ Recovery Codes for Individuals (Beta)

Options
DannyG1P
edited April 22 in Android

๐Ÿ”“ Recovery Codes for Individuals (Beta)

๐Ÿ‘‹ Hey everyone, we're excited to announce that customers on Individual plans can now create and use a recovery code to regain access to their 1Password account should they get locked out. Using a recovery code allows customers to self-recover their accounts in case they forget their account password or lose their Secret Key/trusted devices.

Create a Recovery Code

To create a recovery code, download the latest 1Password app (Beta) on iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, or Linux. Sign in and select your account in the Manage Accounts menu. From there, go to Sign-In & Recovery and select Set up recovery code to begin creating your recovery code. Once created, make sure to store the code in a safe and accessible place outside of this account.

Use a Recovery Code

You can use your recovery code on 1Password.com to regain access to your account if you are ever locked out. To recover your account, go to the 1Password sign-in page and select Having Trouble Signing In? -> Use Recovery Code to get started.

Notes

• Recovering your account will result in a new password and secret key, and will require you to sign back in to 1Password on existing trusted devices
  • You'll need to have access to the email address associated with your 1Password account for account recovery
  • Your recovery code is reusable and will remain valid after itโ€™s used
  • Make sure to store your recovery code in in a safe and accessible place outside of the account it was created for

And that's it! Create and save your recovery code to never lose access to your 1Password account. And while you're at it, let us know what you think about this new feature ๐Ÿ™Œ

Comments

• jwilleke
    jwilleke
    Community Member
    Options

I find it unacceptable that there is not a method for recovery already and for Families also. This feature missing from that is in several other password managers.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@jwilleke

Please allow the team time to finish the work with the other accounts.

• DannyG1P
    Options

Hey @jwilleke ,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your frustration and so I thought Iโ€™d share a bit more about our decision to launch recovery codes as well as where weโ€™re headed. Today, customers who sign up to 1Password can fill out and save their Emergency Kit to get back into their account. Late last year, we released a new account type, allowing customers to unlock 1Password with a passkey (Beta). Without a password or Secret Key, these customers needed a new way to recover their accounts. This led us to introduce recovery codes for these customers.

Because recovery codes are intuitive and easy to use, weโ€™ve decided to expand them to password/Secret Key account types. Weโ€™re starting with Individuals first, as they do not have an existing recovery method. From there, weโ€™ll continue to expand based on customer needs.

If you have any additional feedback, Iโ€™m happy to hear it. Thanks again,

Danny

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

This does not work for family accounts?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@mirv

Not yet. Please give the team time to continue bringing this to all of our users. Hopefully, we'll see that before long.

• DannyG1P
    Options

@mirv Great to hear you are interested in recovery codes for Family accounts!

For now, we are starting with Individual accounts first, as they have no existing recovery method. For Family accounts, if you have any thoughts on why you'd prefer to use a recovery code over the existing Family Organizer recovery feature, I'd love to hear it ๐Ÿ™Œ

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

Mainly because I didnโ€™t remember there was an existing method! Iโ€™ll have to look into that.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Sounds good @mirv

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member
    Options

@mirv & @jwilleke for Family and Business accounts, there's already the recovery method through another member with the corresponding permissions. There are more details in this support article: https://support.1password.com/recovery/

I guess that's why the implementation was first done for individual accounts, which don't have these recovery paths.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Indeed that's correct.