Personal data removal service recommendations?

Options
scott2023
scott2023
Community Member

Hi! I'm looking for a personal data removal service that will help keep my home address etc. out of online databases (data brokers, etc.) and is not a shady company.

Do you have a service that you like / trust / find value in?

I figure that 1Password fans are privacy-conscious, so I'm posing this question here. 😁

Thanks,
Scott

1Password Version: 8.10.33
Extension Version: 2.23.3
OS Version: Mac OS 14.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Pleonasm
    Pleonasm
    Community Member
    Options

DeleteMe appears to be reputable and legitimate. Previously, the company sold a Data Brokers Removal service. However, that service has now been suspended and is listed as “coming soon.”

• mygoodness
    mygoodness
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Scott….I use Optery and have no complaints. A couple of considerations: It takes quite awhile to remove your data. Some DB comply with removal requests right away….others drag their feet. Additionally, some DBs re-post your info after a given amount of time. Yes, they take it down, but put it back up later. It’s a game of Wack-A-Mole. Further, no removal company covers all DBs. So, even if Optery achieved a 100-percent removal score, my data would still be available though the DBs Optery does not cover. Basically, once you start down this road, you gotta keep at it forever…and even then you won’t achieve a zero foot print. Lastly be cautious of who you sign up with…you’re gonna give them a lot of personal info. Be sure they have good security/encryption and 2FA. Some companies exaggerate the number of DBs they contact. Some companies do a blast removal request, giving your info to DBs who perhaps never had it to begin with!! For what it’s worth, I considered Delete Me, but did not sign with them. A key question: Would I do it again? Or, will I renew at the end of one year. Eh….maybe…probably…perhaps. In for a penny, I guess. However, consider this, I have not enrolled my wife in this service, apparently thinking it’s not worth the money. The removal service companies do work, kinda…it’s just a bit like chasing your tail….forever.