Issue with iPadOS 17.6.1 and 1Password Extension on Safari

rickapel
rickapel
Community Member

This is occurring on my iPad Air 2024 with M2 Processor after updating to 17.6.1 and 1Password for iPadOS was updated to 8.10.38 via the automatic app updates on iOS.

I do not know which update took place first but my issue occurred after the update of of both 1Password and iPadOS in the last 2-3 days prior to todays date of 8/13/24.

1) The problem has to do with the 1password extension icon not responding in Safari

2) If I disable and enable 1password extension using Safari extension settings, the 1password extension will work 1 time and ONLY 1 time, failing after that.

3) I believe this is happening too on the iPhone at 17.6.1 also but I did not extensively test as much as I did on the iPad.

4) I initially called Apple, they signed on to my iPad, and concurred this is an issue but not necessarily an Apple issue. They could apparently tell remotely that the press on the 1password icon was occurring and was recognized.

5) I use Raindrop.io also as an Extension in Safari, and this issue Does Not affect the Raindrop.io extension, so the problem seems to be centered around 1password.

6) I use the 1Password Safari extension probably 30-40 times a day, so I detected this immediately.

Any others seeing this issue?

1Password Version: 8.10.38
Extension Version: 8.10.38
OS Version: iPadOS 17.6.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• rohanrns
    rohanrns
    Community Member

I have been running into the exact same issue (but primarily on 2 different iPhones, my iPads are surprisingly OK at the moment). I opened a support case with 1Password but so far have mostly been asked for screenshots.

I see a thread has been started on reddit for the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/1Password/comments/1er5ewj/ios_safari_extension_not_working/

• rickapel
    rickapel
    Community Member
    edited August 13

@rohanrns,
    Are your iOS and 1Password software levels exactly the same as mine on both your iPhones and iPads?
    I'm going to hold off on opening another support ticket with 1password since you did it already. Their support folks also tend to look at these threads and respond accordingly. Maybe you can continue to update this thread if you find the time as you know more. Thanks for the heads up on the Reddit thread also.

I also have a ticket with Apple open. As always, those tickets tend to sit in a dormant state as they expect you open a ticket with the vendor first.

1Password folks are always on the ball so I would expect them to chime in soon on this.

Thanks,
    Rick A

• rohanrns
    rohanrns
    Community Member

Yes, iOS devices both on 17.6.1. Both iPads on iPadOS 17.6.1.
    All instances of 1Password on 8.10.38.

Trivial to reproduce on both iOS devices, extremely consistent. In my case disable/enable of the extension does nothing, it remains bricked at all times. Rebooting the phone also does nothing to help. Clicking on the lego-piece icon in Safari and tapping 1Password does nothing as well. (Same as the person on reddit).

On both iPads the extension continues to work as it always did, no issues or concerns of any kind.

• Hello @rickapel and @rohanrns! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password for Safari isn't responding on your iOS devices. Our developers are investigating an issue that sounds like it matches the behaviour that you're describing. Can you let me know if the following specific steps allow you to use 1Password for Safari again:

1. Force quit Safari from the App Switcher: Quit and reopen an app on iPhone - Apple Support (CA)
    2. Open your iOS Settings and go to Safari > Extensions > 1Password.
    3. Disable the setting for Allow Extension, wait a few seconds, and then re-enable it.
    4. Re-open Safari.

Can you also tell me if you regularly force close Safari using the method in step 1? From the customer reports received so far, that seems to be triggering the issue.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#31962

• rohanrns
    rohanrns
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P

Thanks for your reply and attention to this issue.
    Yes, following your steps 1-4 does make the Safari extension on iOS function normally again.
    Yes, I do routinely force close safari from the App Switcher as you describe in step 1, this is pretty much normal for me to do several times throughout the day.

Thanks for helping narrow this down, it sounds like a force close of Safari triggers this unique issue and a cycle of disable/enable fixes it until the next force close. Looking forward to your developers finding a permanent fix.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 14

@rohanrns

Thank you for confirming. I've let our development team know that you're also affected by the issue, hopefully it can be resolved in a future update soon.

In the meantime, there's typically no need to force close an app unless it isn't responding as noted by Apple in their support guide:

Typically, there’s no reason to quit an app; quitting it doesn’t save battery power, for example.

I've shared everyone's reports with the development team.

-Dave

• Michael Shingledecker
    Michael Shingledecker
    Community Member

I have the same problem. Following the steps above fixed the issue, however; I do not regularly force close Safari.

iPad Air M2, iPadOS 17.6.1

• Tcheuck
    Tcheuck
    Community Member
    edited August 15

Hi all,

I clear my cache and quit Safari everyday and encounter this issue too. I’m on iPad OS 17.6.1 too.
    Like @rohanrns, I can confirm that your workaround only works until we keep Safari running.

Thanks.

• rickapel
    rickapel
    Community Member
    edited August 15

Hello @Dave_1P ,

With my ipad described in my opening comment and the software levels I am at,
    I DO NOT have to force close anything to re-enable the 1Password entension to get it to work again.

1) Go to Safari Entension management (I'm referring to the management icon on the Safari app itself on the same line as the URL. NOT the Safari options referenced from the iPad settings menu)
    2)Disable/Reenable 1password entension
    3) everything works fine for the first press of the 1password entension as the dialog box appears properly and the autofill will occur properly
    4) On the 2nd invocation, however, 1password will not respond when pressing its icon.
    5) Other icons such as Raindrop.io will respond
    6) So I repeat step 1-2 for every invocation of 1password.

• Darkwing1167
    Darkwing1167
    Community Member

I am suffering this issue on an iPhone 15, iOS 17.6.1, 1Password version 8.10.38.

I do not force quite Safari (or any apps) regularly at all, and only do this when I am having a problem with a particular application. I have tried your steps above, such as force quitting Safari and then disabling before re-enabling the extension in settings.

Strangely, my 1Password browser extension won't invoke even once; it just doesn't work at all for me.

• qzzb
    qzzb
    Community Member

Last few weeks the safari extension doesn’t load. If I restart my iPhone works for a bit then just stops again. Tried disabling and re-enabling doesn’t help. Only restart. And always just stops working bug in latest version?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

I too have started experiencing this issue the last week or so. I work around it by turning the Safari extension off then on (via the puzzle piece icon in the Safari address bar).

I too tend to force quit Safari, but I’m reasonably sure that’s not a hard prerequisite to cause the problem.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

“In the meantime, there's typically no need to force close an app”

True as far as it goes, and I’ve even seen Craig Federighi mention this, but I do it because I dislike a cluttered task switcher, not because I’m trying to save battery or manage system resources!

• samy570
    samy570
    Community Member

Same issue, that thing starts driving me crazy, the extension works only one time and then I need to restart Safari.
    I’ve also manager to crash safari with shortcut Command+Maj+X
    I’m using iPadOS 17.6.1 and 1Password 8.10.38

• tws
    tws
    Community Member

I have the same issue

• cdb9554
    cdb9554
    Community Member

Safari on iPad, 17.6.1, new behavior is that placing cursor in a username field does not bring up 1Password symbol in the field with related matching vault selection(s). I can get this to work correctly by disabling the extension, re-enabling it, and refresh the page in Safari. And subsequent logins on different pages exhibit correct behavior. Until they don’t, and then the disable/re-enable/refresh must be done again. I’m not sure what change to iOS, Safari, or 1Password caused this change in behavior. Used to work as expected.

1Password Version: 8.10.38
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 17.6.1
    Browser: Safari

• mixture
    mixture
    Community Member

And I, too, have this exact same issue.

• Therotero
    Therotero
    Community Member

Same here. iPad and Safari Extension does nothing.

• PhilLee
    PhilLee
    Community Member

Same issue here on my iPhone 14 Pro running 17.6.1 and the latest 1Password 8.10.38. It works on my M1 iPad Pro 13 using the same versions.

• bearonatinybike
    bearonatinybike
    Community Member

Confirming I the same issue as described above. Also resolved by enabling/disabling the extension. iPhone 15 Pro and current gen 11" iPad Pro on latest iOS/iPadOS revisions.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 19

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry that 1Password for Safari isn't responding on your iPhone or iPad. Our developers are aware that some users are reporting an issue where 1Password for Safari has to be toggled off and then back on before it starts working again. While the team investigates, you can use iOS Password AutoFill to fill and save logins from 1Password instead of the web extension:

Diagnostics reports would help the team to narrow down the issue and make sure that all relevant cases are being accounted for:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• Tcheuck
    Tcheuck
    Community Member

I can’t follow the process as 1Password wants to send the report email using Mail.app.
    I use Gmail, which is set as my default mail app in iOS settings. I don’t want to setup my email account in Mail.app just for that.

Is there a way to just export the report file and send it manually?

• rickapel
    rickapel
    Community Member
    edited August 19

@Dave_1P and all others folks with this issue,
    Interesting new potential temporary circumvention that I just discovered on my iPhone. I disabled my only other extension that I was using safari with on the iPhone ( Raindrop.io) and I was able to invoke 1password multiple times. My primary testing has been on the iPad but was sitting in a coffe shop and had an epiphany and tried this and it worked. Can any of you try this too and report back to the forum please.
    Rick A

Ignore this as it appears to be erratic at best upon further testing
    Rick A

• @Tcheuck

1Password for iOS currently uses the built-in Mail app to send a diagnostics report and won't work with third-party email apps. You'll need to add your email account to the Mail app to send the report.

I've let the team know that you'd like to see support for other email apps added in the future.

-Dave

ref: PB-41701291

• dhch94
    dhch94
    Community Member

Hello,

I have this issue with my iPhone 15 pro as well. I sent over my diagnostic report Support ID: ULT-39818-943.

I also noticed that if I don’t use my iPhone for a while (overnight or several hours), the extension also stops working. I’m assuming safari closes out if the phone is idle for a while. In this case, turning off and on the extension gets it back working again as well.

• ianbaldwin
    ianbaldwin
    Community Member

LDP-28562-674 submitted

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member

Same issue. Sent diags.

• @dhch94, @ianbaldwin, and @fstorch

Thank you all for sending in the diagnostics reports. It looks like our development team doesn't require any more reports for the moment and a fix is being worked on. Hopefully it is released soon.

For the time being, I recommend folks that are seeing this issue use iOS Password AutoFill to fill and save logins from 1Password instead of using the web extension:

Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

-Dave

ref: ULT-39818-943
    ref: LDP-28562-674

• George47
    George47
    Community Member

The force close Safari doesn’t work for me on two iPhone and two iPads. I tried it and it worked when I opened Safari. However, after I closed Safari again, 1password extension didn’t work. I had to use manage extension from tab and toggle 1password off and on. It doesn’t seem to work if you close safari. If you leave safari open in background then it’s okay

• jeremywsherman
    jeremywsherman
    Community Member

FWIW, I regularly force-quit Safari to work around a bug where it stops saving files properly. It leaves 0% .download files in my iCloud Downloads, and the fully-downloaded files in the Safari Downloads list lack the spyglass icon, but can be dragged and dropped, or (after Safari relaunch) viewed and Share > Save to Files. I think I’ve sometimes seen it throw errors about issues communicating with an internal helper app. Sometimes copy-paste from Safari will also break till relaunch. So this leads to me randomly killing it when it acts up, and then this issue kicks in on the 1P side.

Glad to find the workarounds shared in this thread. The in-Safari Manage Extensions one is pretty quick to execute.