1P4 MAS exclusive? [No, website version will be available soon]

Options
om3ga777
om3ga777
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

Are you sticking to your plan to make 1Password 4 Mac AppStore exclusive?

Comments

• jsturtridge
    jsturtridge
    Community Member
    Options

Looks as if it's available on Agile's store and MAS.

https://agilebits.com/store

http://j.mp/1PmasBLOG

J.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

As of now, it's still at v3 on the Agile Bits store.

Corentin

• Hi guys,

It is not going to be exclusive to MAS, we just need a bit more time to prepare the website version, it should be available today.

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member
    Options

Are there any functional differences (due to sandboxing etc) between the MAS and website versions?

• Hi @rowatt,

Beside the official iCloud sync support in the MAS version, the location will be different for the data files/backups and the initial website versions won't be sandboxed. We plan to sandbox the website version in the near future.

• cbarbudo
    cbarbudo
    Community Member
    Options

1P4 free for MAS users and $24.99 for website customers !!???

This is unfair.

• caesar113
    caesar113
    Community Member
    Options

I would just like to note that you guys are liars. I saved this because I knew you were going to pull this stunt. Thanks for lying to us and making a bunch of us re-purchase 1P3 on MAS in order to get what you claimed would equate to upgrade pricing to 1P4. Despite having no announced features or a release timeline, you pushed it on us as the only way to receive a discount on the future release. I can dig up the links to the threads of numerous AgileBits employees, including the CEO, lying to all of its loyal customers. AgileBits may have some great software engineers, but you sure do have some lousy businessmen at the helm making lousy business decisions alienating its customers. I will be referring all my friends, family, coworkers, and clients to use Dashlane going forward. They have a superior product, better cross platform support on both desktop and mobile, and most importantly, honest business practices.

• Hi @cbarbudo,

All website customers who bought 1Password 3 in the last 9 months (the year 2013) from our website will get a free upgrade to 1Password 4. A lot of 1Password 3 website customers paid the upgrade fee to get the MAS version even though the MAS version was still at 3.x. That's why it is free for everybody who bought at the Mac App Store.

@caesar113, I'm sorry you feel that way. All customers who bought 1Password 3 at Mac App Store are getting 1Password 4 for free, they are not going to pay anything for 1Password 4. The same is true for anybody who bought 1Password 3 at our webstore in the year 2013, or the last 9 months.

Yes, we originally said 1Password 4 was going to be exclusive to MAS but we changed our minds after listening to all of our customers over time who didn't like this and so, we changed our mind. However, whoever bought 1Password 3.9.x at the MAS will not be expected to pay anything to get 1Password 4, which is exactly what we promised and what was said in your screenshot. The only thing that's difference is the exclusivity.

• om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    Options

@caesar113 What are your referring to, exactly? The fact, that AgileBits (fortunately) changed their minds on the 1P4 MAS exclusivity? I'm more than happy that they did and as MikeT pointed out: They will provide you with a license for the website version if you send them your iTunes receipt of of your 1P3.x purchase, so that you have the freedom to choose between 1P4 MAS or website version.

So yes, they "lied" to us about the exclusivity thing (thank god!) and now they even let people change from MAS to website version. There is absolutely nothing to complain about the way AgileBits handle(d) the situation.

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT thank you for clarifying re. MAS vs website version.

I was also a bit surprised that you will after all be releasing a non MAS version. If you are indeed offering MAS customers the option to transfer to a web license, then I do agree there's nothing to complain about. Just as you did with Wifi sync, you made a decision, listened to feedback and changed accordingly. Great!

For the record, though, I do think you could communicate this a bit more clearly... I don't recall reading anything in your blog or product information pages about the change of decision re MAS/website and opportunity to crossgrade. A small detail alongside all the excellent info about why 1P4 is a great upgrade, but for some of us perhaps an important one.

• Hi @rowatt,

We have the tendency of announcing the details when we're much closer to the release rather than before because we didn't want to raise any false hope and change it again, so the closer we're to the release, the more solid our decisions get. AgileBits after-all is still a small private startup that do make human decisions and sometime, we do get it wrong but we do try to make up for it.

We try to release all the details here in our blog post, did that help at all or what do you think is missing? We'll try to clean it up.

There are some confusion over the cross-grading which isn't possible because the Mac App Store does not allow upgrade pricing, so we'll be releasing more details later tonight.

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member
    Options

I've no issue with this decision not being announced before 1P4 was launched, I just think that you could have communicated it better once you did decide to announce.

That blog post was pretty clear in general, but I think it should have explicitly said that although you originally planned for 1P4 to be MAS only, you've changed your mind following customer feedback, and that you'll let anyone who did buy 1P3 from MAS convert to a web store license. It might also be helpful to state the differences between the 2 versions.

This discussion has been closed.