Does 1Password 4 support multilingual forms?

Options
mdemare
mdemare
Community Member

Does 1Password 4 support filling in forms in other languages than English (specifically, for me, Dutch)?

I couldn't find this anywhere on your site.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mdemare,

1Password is currently available in 17 languages ... including Dutch! You can find all of the languages that we support on the Mac App Store page for 1Password.

Currently, to switch between languages, you will need a tool called Language Switcher. We're hoping to add this as an option in Preferences in the future, but unfortunately I can't give you a timeline on that right now.

• mdemare
    mdemare
    Community Member
    Options

That's not what I meant - my English is fine.

My question is: when filling in a Dutch form containing a field called "geboortedatum", does 1Password 4 know to use the "birth day" field from my identity?

• Hi @mdemare,

For the Login filling, it shouldn't matter. When 1Password asked to save your Login, it copies over the details about the field names and types. So, languages won't impact the accuracy of the filling.

However, the Identity filling is a different story because it has to know in advance which field is which and 1Password will guess based on the field names and the type of input it is. It is likely to be less accurate on non-English forms but it is usually pretty good on guessing.

If you have any sites where we can test the Identity filling on, we can add it to our tracker and see if there's a better way to handle this in the future without being dependent on the language of the forms.

• mdemare
    mdemare
    Community Member
    Options

That's correct - I'm referring to filling out forms with an identity. In my experience, filling out forms with identities works fairly well for English sites, but only barely for Dutch sites. For instance, it only fills out 3 out of 10 known fields on this form: https://www.beslist.nl/mijnbeslist/register/

Am I correct in assuming that this functionality hasn't been improved in 1Password 4?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mdemare. As far as I know this functionality is comparable in 1P3 and 1P4.

• Paulus
    Paulus
    Community Member
    Options

@mdemare.
    This is a long time (nagging but minor) issue in 1P for me too.
    Forms in different languages I use and work with (EU), always need to be manually filled in or corrected using 1P.
    I can remember a few threads about this from years ago. Funny enough one was also started by a Dutchy.
    If I recall correctly 1P even asked for native speakers support on these identity translation issues, being on the longer term "to do' list of the 1P people.
    However for some reason it always dies away quietly, as I guess new versions, new MacOS versions, new Browser versions, Apps, Mobile, Android etc, swamp the nice 1P developers.
    So we just have to live with it I guess. Unfortunately I might add, as 50% of 1P functionality is not used.

This discussion has been closed.