How to sync from 1Password 4 Mac to 1Password 3 iOS

Options
Tazintosh
Tazintosh
Community Member

Hi,

I've just bought today 1Password 4 for Mac.
'til then, even since the new dropbox API changes, I had the following fully working workflow:

• 1Password 3 on my Mac (syncing on Dropbox)
• 1Password 4 on my iPhone 4S (syncing on Dropbox)
• 1Password 3 on my iPad (first gen.) still working with WIFI Sync.
• 1Password 3 on my iPhone 3G still working with WIFI Sync.

Today, after buying 1Password 4 on my Mac (it's quite a buy to save 'passwords'…), I discovered the WIFI sync was not anymore compatible from v4 to v3, even over WIFI!
I've to admit I'm quite shocked by this but will debate about the possible multiple marketing reason under this. Looks like Dropbox API changes have been amazingly profitable to you —> having to buy a full new version just to benefit the sync for a third party services that change, it's really, really well done…
Still, I've bought all your 1Password versions (you see, it's mean but it worked out!) so I consider I've done my part for your company. Are you asking me to buy a new iPad & iPhone?

Could you tell me how can I handle this?
You'll buy and send me new devices or should I ask for a refund, or any better solution for both of us?

All the best.

Comments

• Hi @Tazintosh,

Please email us at support@agilebits.com, we'll get you sorted out.

There isn't a perfect solution based on your older iOS devices, you'll have to stick with 1Password 3 series, until all of your devices can support iOS 6, which can then work with the newer systems we're using in 1Password 4.

The Wi-Fi sync is not compatible because it's a completely different system in 1Password 4. We overhauled it to make it more solid compared to the last Wi-Fi subsystem we had in 1Password 3, which was released back in 2009. The issues it bought up was the reason we killed the Wi-Fi sync in 1Password 4 for iOS. Since then a lot of folks have asked us to bring it back and so, we did in 1Password 4 for Mac that won't work the same as the previous one and thus requires also the newer 1Password 4.3 update for iOS.

• bob
    bob
    Community Member
    Options

"until all of your devices can support iOS 6,"

However iPad 1 (first gen) will never be iOS 6 so this is not feasible. Will dropbox syncing work between 1Password 3 iOS5 and 1Password 4 Mac + iOS 7?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bob. You asked:

Will dropbox syncing work between 1Password 3 iOS5 and 1Password 4 Mac + iOS 7?

Dropbox Sync with 1Password 3 for iOS stopped working on September 1st, as pre-announced in this blog posting:

[Updated] If you use 1Password 3 for iOS and Dropbox sync, take action by September 1

Dropbox Sync with 1Password 4 is supported with any version of OS X and iOS that 1P4 runs on.

I hope that information is useful for you.

• bob
    bob
    Community Member
    Options

How about 1Password 3 iOS 5 Wifi sync with 1Password 4 Mac?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bob.

Similar to what @MikeT previously mentioned, Wi-Fi sync on 1P3 iOS and 1P4 Mac are (and will remain) incompatible since 1P3 iOS is no longer developed. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yyteoh,

Unfortunately, iTunes File Sharing is not a solution for 1Password 3 iOS and 1Password 4 for Mac, because they use different datafile types. Since Dropbox changed their API earlier this year, there is no way to keep data in 1Password 3 for iOS synced with data in 1Password 4 for Mac. I do apologize for the inconvenience here. If you would prefer to stay with 1Password 3, I'd be happy to help you downgrade your Mac version so that you can continue to use version 3's Wi-Fi sync.

• Peter Roberts
    Peter Roberts
    Community Member
    Options

Downgrading my Mac 1P4 version, which syncs with all our iOS 7 devices, in order for me to continue syncing with my 1P3 version on my one iOS 5 device (the original iPad) is not a viable solution. The solution is to fix the 1P3 version so that under iOS 5 it can sync. Remember what you said when 1P4 came out for iOS n≥6 came out? You said that 1P3 for iOS would continue to work. I can understand why you would not want to fix 1P3 for iOS 5 to sync with DropBox, but I must ask you to fix it so that it can do a WI-FI sync with 1P4 on my Mac.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Peter,

I do apologize for the inconvenience here. I know it's a tricky situation when you have an iOS device that doesn't support the latest version.

Wi-Fi sync in 1Password 3 was never quite perfect in our eyes. Between the need for manual syncing and networking issues, it did not provide a great user experience for many users. In fact, we initially released 1Password 4 without Wi-Fi sync because we were not satisfied with its performance. When users requested that we bring Wi-Fi sync back, we completely re-wrote the process in an attempt to make it more user-friendly. So unfortunately, 1Password 3 cannot sync via Wi-Fi with 1Password 4.

I do have a solution for you though that will allow you to continue to use 1Password 4 on all your newer devices and still keep 1Password 3 for iOS in sync. It simply requires that you keep a copy of 1Password 3 for Mac on your computer. If you purchased 1Password 4 from our website, you might still have 1Password 3 on your computer. If you got 1Password 4 via upgrade from the Mac App Store, we can easily install 1Password 3 for Mac via our website. Then 1Password 3 for Mac can stay synced via Dropbox with 1Password 4 for Mac, and you can sync your iPad via Wi-Fi whenever necessary.

The instructions for setting up Wi-Fi sync for 1Password 3 are here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password3/ios-wifi-sync.html
    If you need to download 1Password 3 from our website again, just head here: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html

If you purchased from the Mac App Store, please send a copy of your receipt to support@ agilebits .com and we will send you out a new license directly.  If you purchased from our store, you can continue to use your original license number.

I hope this helps solve things for you, but if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help!

• bob
    bob
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased 1Password 4 from Mac App Store, but before installing, I renamed my old 1Password 3 app to 1Password3.app so it would to be overwritten by App store. So now I have both 4 and 3 apps (haven't run the 4 yet)>

Will this work for me, using 1Password4 on regular basis. When iPad 1 needs updating, I'll run 1Password 3 on the mac to wifi-sync with Pad 1. This is all on a single mac. Any problems with preference files/data file between 1Password 3 and 4 on same mac (provided I don't run both at same time)?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bob,

I must say, that's a unique solution to the problem! I've conferred with a colleague, and we think this should work just fine for you. Just as a precaution though, it might be a wise idea to make a .zip of 3.9 as a backup since it can never be redownloaded. Just right click on it, Compress, then save that somewhere. :)

If you do run into any snags, please let us know, we're happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.