different number of items between backup from 1PW3 and imported items in 1PW4? but everything OK?

Options
hsdaki
hsdaki
Community Member

Hello!

I updated my 1PW3 MAS version to the new 1PW4 MAS version.
After the update i had 122 items in my 1 PW4 keychain. But the backup file from1 PW3 is named '1Password 2013-10-03 184403 (198 items).agilekeychain_zip'
So i thought that i lost a few items.....
I installed 1PW3 MAS version in virtual machine and restored the backup. If i count the restored items now, i count 122 items.....
Is there a problem? Why is the filename '.....(198 items)...' and why are only 122 items restored?
If there is a problem how can i solve it?

Regards

Comments

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options
  • hsdaki
    hsdaki
    Community Member
    Options

Hella Niklas,

I saw this thread - but i think it doesn't describe my problem. Because i also see only 122 items in my 1PW3 i'm not even sure if i lost items with the update. Maybe this was a know problem with 1PW3? How can i restore all 198 items - or how can i be sure that there are 198 items in the backup?

• Gort
    Gort
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. According to the item counts, about 10% of my login items (40 items) are missing from my 1PW4 database. At this point, I have quarantined a copy of my last 1PW3 backup file on a different computer. I have confirmed that 3 of the 40 missing items are in the 1PW3 backup file and am slowly working my way through the others.

Two questions. First, are the linked instructions the best way to "fix" the issue, or is there something easier I can do? Second, have you identified a cause? To put it mildly, I am a bit nervous at this point about relying on 1PW4. Would really appreciate a bit more of a response from Agile. Yes, I know you are busy, but, good grief, we have missing data. You are too busy for that?

• hsdaki
    hsdaki
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!

I tried a few things:
    I made a copy of my keychain before i updated to 1PW4 (a copy, not a backup!).
    I installed 1PW3 from the Webstore and used this copy.
    1PW3 showed 122 items.
    I made a backup - the backup said 198 items.
    I checked the directory of the keychain: There were over 200 files.
    I closed 1PW3 and deleted about 50 files from the directory.
    I opened 1PW3 again and now it said 78 items.....
    Maybe 1PW3 is not really deleting files from the keychain-direcory (which is equal to the items show in the backup-filename) when i delete items in 1PW3? So is it possible, that the 198 items in the backup include items that i had deleted in the past?
    Can anyone from AgileBits confirm this theory?

Regards

• hsdaki
    hsdaki
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!
    I found the solution for my situation:
    There are 198 items in my backup file because this are deleted items which remain as tombstones (see also http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/11950/what-does-rebuild-data-file-actually-do)
    Also each folder in the keychain is an item in the backup file.
    I check each entry and all my items are converted to 1PW4.

If a member of AileBits is reading this: I would prefer an invite for the 1PW4 beta for Windows as compensation. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys. I apologize for not responding here sooner.

That's great you found a solution, @hsdaki, and I'll check what can be done about a 1P4 Windows beta invite. :)

If you're still having trouble, @Gort, can you please describe more about the current status of 1Password and its active database on your system? Are you using the MAS or website version and which sync types (if any) are active? Is the database still in the same state as after you upgraded from 1P3 or have restored from an older 1P3 backup? Or, did you revert to using 1P3? That information will help us to provide you with the best suggestions for resolving any problems. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.