What does "conflicts" mean?

Options
netnothing
netnothing
Community Member

In the main 1Password app, I have a few logins that under Website have a section called Conflicts. Under it seems to have a different password.

What is this?

-Kevin

Comments

• If you are syncing with Dropbox or iCloud then it is possible for some items to be modified on more than one device at the same time. Also, merging with an existing .agilekeychain could create the same scenario when there are two copies of the item that are not identical and it is not possible to tell with copy is the clear winner.

In this case, 1Password 4 makes sure it preserves the contents of both items by creating conflict fields.

Please note that Mac App Store version of 1Password 3 used to ignore conflict files and some of the conflicts you are seeing now could have been created by version 3.

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

Would you recommend only have 1 sync option on the iOS app? Either Dropbox OR iCloud. Seems having both on causes issues like these.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @netnothing,

Yes, we do recommend using only 1 sync source at a time - it just keeps things simpler. :)

• ACDCHNL
    ACDCHNL
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

I understand the above. I'm running 1Password Version 4.1.3 (413002) on a 2012 MacBookPro Retina OSX 10.9.1 and use Dropbox. I have a few 1Password files with "Conflicts" on them. There are no files with "Conflicts" in their name in the DropBox data file's default folder. When I use 1Password>Help>Tools there is no ”Find and Resolve Sync Conflicts” option. I only have "Remove Redundant Generated Passwords". I have not idea what that means. In 1Password 4's "new" announcement "roustem" stated that conflicts are resolved automatically. If they are resolved automatically, then why is there a field with "Conflicts" remaining on a few of my 1Password files? Shouldn't the "Conflicts" field disappear after automatic resolution? Also, as far as I can find, your 1Password 4 "help" menu and "users guide" has no mention of the "Conflicts" issue. I had to use Google to locate this thread in the forum. I then signed on and by typing in the exact title "What does 'Conflicts' mean" was then able to locate this discussion. So, should I ignore the "Conflicts" label or what?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ACDCHNL.

Thanks for the questions and comments.

I have a few 1Password files with "Conflicts" on them. There are no files with "Conflicts" in their name in the DropBox data file's default folder.

Do you mean that a few of your 1Password items have a Conflicts section? Like this:

It's normal that 1Password keychain data files (e.g. in Dropbox) don't have "Conflicts" in their names.

When I use 1Password>Help>Tools there is no ”Find and Resolve Sync Conflicts” option.

That's only for 1Password 3.

I only have "Remove Redundant Generated Passwords". I have not idea what that means.

Here's one simple explanation:

Running Remove Redundant Generated Passwords lets 1Password scan for all Login and Password items that have exactly the same password and the same URL, then offers to Trash the Password items. Any Login items are always retained.

There are several topics discussing it in more detail, e.g. here, here.

"roustem" stated that conflicts are resolved automatically. If they are resolved automatically, then why is there a field with "Conflicts" remaining on a few of my 1Password files? Shouldn't the "Conflicts" field disappear after automatic resolution?

When automatic conflict resolution isn't certain which data is correct it'll put its first choice under the main section and others under the Conflicts section as kind of a safety net. And you might notice some "useless" hidden fields there, e.g. from a registration form.

So, should I ignore the "Conflicts" label or what?

One of my 1P4 databases has a Primary vault with 10 items (out of around 1500) with Conflicts sections. None of the data there is useful or more current than what's in the rest of the item. I've chosen to keep it for now but will eventually remove it. 1Password doesn't care if it's there or not. :)

This custom search criteria, savable as a Smart Folder, is the easiest way to locate items with Conflicts:

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have other questions about this or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.