Cannot re-authorize iPod Touch

allen_a_watson
allen_a_watson
Community Member
edited September 2010 in iOS
I have the latest versions on my iMac and iPod Touch. On the Touch, after entering the unlock code and trying to look up a login, I am prompted to enter a Master Password. I enter the password and it is refused; the # of failed attempts increments (I am up to 40). In desperation, I went to the Mac and changed the master password, but the Touch still refuses to recognize it.

I read the thread, locked, on sync problems, and ran through the process there. Ping, Traceback all fine. I then tried the part about deleting the Touch from the listing within 1Password on the Mac and re-authorizing. I get to this part:

Start the 1Password touch application
Go to Settings
Touch Wi-Fi Sync
Touch the Allow New Connections button
A window similar to this will be displayed:

Unfortunately, the window you picture is NOT displayed; instead, I am again prompted for the Master Password, and again, it is refused!

I'm stuck. What do I do next?

Ten minutes later: I realized the password on the Touch is different than the Mac, and I don't know what it was. So, I elected to reset the password, which erased all my data on the Touch. But then, with the new password I was able to authorize, and the data is now syncing back from my Mac, so all is well.

Comments

• I have the latest versions on my iMac and iPod Touch. On the Touch, after entering the unlock code and trying to look up a login, I am prompted to enter a Master Password. I enter the password and it is refused; the # of failed attempts increments (I am up to 40). In desperation, I went to the Mac and changed the master password, but the Touch still refuses to recognize it.

I read the thread, locked, on sync problems, and ran through the process there. Ping, Traceback all fine. I then tried the part about deleting the Touch from the listing within 1Password on the Mac and re-authorizing. I get to this part:

Start the 1Password touch application
    Go to Settings
    Touch Wi-Fi Sync
    Touch the Allow New Connections button
    A window similar to this will be displayed:

Unfortunately, the window you picture is NOT displayed; instead, I am again prompted for the Master Password, and again, it is refused!

I'm stuck. What do I do next?

Ten minutes later: I realized the password on the Touch is different than the Mac, and I don't know what it was. So, I elected to reset the password, which erased all my data on the Touch. But then, with the new password I was able to authorize, and the data is now syncing back from my Mac, so all is well.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you were able to fix this.

I just want to point out that you can have a different master password for each device and the password are never synced across devices even for your Macs, Windows or with Android.

Resetting the Master Password will delete any items that was encrypted with the previous master password as you have experienced. Luckily your data was stored in your 1Password for Mac's database.

I do recommend everybody to back up their 1Password's data if they don't have 1Password for Mac or Windows. Without a backup to restore from, there's no way to recover data if the master password was forgotten.

The 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that's basically inviting the hackers to exploit to steal your data.
This discussion has been closed.