Workaround for iCloud sync on iOS devices not being able to find the iCloud data.

Options
_Mac
_Mac
Community Member
edited May 2014 in iOS

Posting this to help others and to alert Agilebits dev-staff to check it out (to avoid future support-issues).

What:

1Password 4 for iPhone (v4.3.1) does not correctly fetch data from the iCloud again, if it does not find any data on the first try.

Description:

On the Macbook Pro:

1. Just updated to latest Mac version (4.0.7) on OSX 10.9 Mavericks.
  2. Changed from syncing w Dropbox to iCloud.
  3. Succeeded (aprx 700 items).

On the iPhone 5:

1. Started 1Password 4 (v4.3.1) on iOS 7.0.3 for the first time (before that I used v3.7.2).
  2. Selected "Used 1Password before..." > selected sync fr iCloud > Result = "No data found".
  3. Then waited about 5 minutes, since I thought that sometime the iCloud services can be slow to update. "No data found".
  4. Then tried again, then agin in 10 / 20 / 30 min. All with the same result.

Solution work-around:

On the iPhone:

1. Exit 1Password 4.
  2. Doubble-clic on the Home button > Shows active apps.
  3. Slide the 1Password app upward to "kill" the app (end sleep mode and exit app totally).
  4. Restart 1Password 4 > It now asks for my master password and then syncs all my data OK from iCloud. (it found iCloud data).

Comments

• MikeT
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi @_Mac,

Thanks for writing this up. This may be a regression as we did fix this in the past but I'll reopen the issue in our tracker and see if we can improve this.

In the meantime, this is not an issue with the Mac app, but the iOS app, so I've moved this to the iOS forum.

• ithinkiamjoseph
    ithinkiamjoseph
    Community Member
    Options

I have done this a dozen times without any good results. All my iCloud info appears to be gone. I restore my phone quite often and start over (i'm an app hoarder) and normally everything comes right back without issue, but it isn't grabbing anything at all now. I'm on an iPhone 5 7.0.4 and all my iCloud info appears to be gone. Any other suggestions?

• _Mac
    _Mac
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thank's MikeT :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ithinkiamjoseph,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with iCloud!

All my iCloud info appears to be gone.

If you are seeing no iCloud info at all, please check to ensure that you are logged into iCloud with the same account that you have on your Mac. (If you're like me and somehow have multiple accounts, this could be why you see no data!)

We're going to see if we can't give iCloud a little kickstart:

• Go to Settings > iCloud > "Documents & Data", toggle to off.
    • Delete 1Password for iOS.
    • Reboot your iOS device.
    • Reinstall 1P, but don't launch.
    • Back in Settings, toggle "Documents and Data" back on.
    • Wait 20 minutes to give data time to load onto device.
    • Launch 1Password.

Please let me know if this helps!

• ithinkiamjoseph
    ithinkiamjoseph
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried this and unfortunately it didn't work. It's as if my iCloud info just really isn't there. It's odd. I've restored my phone a dozen times and it usually brings back my info super quick.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ithinkiamjoseph,

Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from your main computer?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• ithinkiamjoseph
    ithinkiamjoseph
    Community Member
    Options

I actually don't have 1Password for the Mac. I am only using it on my iPhone right now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ithinkiamjoseph,

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Let's try a Diagnostic Report from your iOS device then. It doesn't provide as much information as a Report from the main computer, but we might still be able to see where things are going wonky

Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Email Diagnostics

Please change the email address to support+forum@ agilebits .com so we can more easily track it. :)

• ithinkiamjoseph
    ithinkiamjoseph
    Community Member
    Options

i will do that, but since I haven't set up my 1Password since restoring do I choose to create a new database through iCloud and then go in to settings and email diagnostics?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ithinkiamjoseph,

That report has to be sent from the 1Password app. If you don't have 1Password installed, could you check something for me? Please look in Settings.app > iCloud > Storage & Backups > Manage Storage and see if you have 'onepassword' listed there.

• ithinkiamjoseph
    ithinkiamjoseph
    Community Member
    Options

I do have 1Password installed but to get to the settings part of the app i have to re-set it back up which i don't want to overwrite what might possibly still be in iCloud. Under manage storage onepassword is listed, but strangely the icon just shows the blueprint icon with the lines instead of the traditional 1password icon. Thanks again for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ithinkiamjoseph,

Don't worry too much about the blueprint icon ... that's something that we're working on getting fixed. It doesn't affect your data. But it is good to know that you do have data in iCloud. :)

Can you please confirm for me exactly what is happening when you open 1Password? The more detail we have, the more able we will be to track down where things are going wonky. Thanks for your patience as we work to sort this out!

• ithinkiamjoseph
    ithinkiamjoseph
    Community Member
    Options

Absolutely. When I open it up it says "checking for iCloud", it doesn't find anything and says 'I'm a new 1password user' or 'i've used 1password before'. So I choose the latter. It gives me the syncing methods and I say 'sync using iCloud' because thats what I did before. After that it just says 'no data found on iCloud' and displays 'get help' or 'create new database'.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ithinkiamjoseph,

I'm so sorry about the delay here. I've been consulting with one of our iOS experts to try and get this sorted out for you. I think our best option here is to see if 1Password 4 for Mac can find your data properly.

Please download a free trial of 1Password 4 for Mac from our website: https://agilebits.com/downloads. If you are logged in to iCloud, 1Password 4 for Mac should detect your data file automatically. We can then back up your data and try resetting iCloud sync there. :)

• fenderf4i2
    fenderf4i2
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the exact same issue.

• Donna Morris
    Donna Morris
    Community Member
    Options

Me too.

• _Mac
    _Mac
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Glad to see that Megan is helping out on my thread. Thank you :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fenderf4i2 and Donna,

@_Mac's original post described a workaround for his problem. There are some further steps that you can try to kickstart iCloud mentioned in my Post #5 above.

Have any of these steps helped to resolve the problem?

If not, please provide me with a bit more detail on your 1Password ecosystem: please tell me the version numbers of 1Password and your operating systems on all computers and devices that are currently running 1Password. The more information I have about your situation, the easier it will be to track this issue down. :)

• aversini
    aversini
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue but only on my iPad mini. On my Mac and my iPhone, it works great...
    I followed both advices (first post and post #5) but still no luck on the iPad :(

Mac OS X 10.9.1, 1password version: 4.1 (410009)
    iPhone 5S iOS 7.0.4 with latest 1password 4
    iPad mini retina iOS 7.0.4

Any other suggestions?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aversini,

Thanks for providing your version numbers in your original post! That helps a lot :) I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting iCloud sync set up on your iPad mini. Are you seeing an error message when you try to sync?

I'd like you to confirm for me that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all devices. I know it sounds silly, but if you're like me and somehow have accumulated several Apple accounts, we want to make sure that you are syncing to the same one everywhere.

• aversini
    aversini
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

Nope, no error message. When I first start 1password 4 on the iPad mini (fresh re-install), I briefly see that it's trying to check for iCloud. I guess it fails silently and then the "vault opening animation" occurs and there is a centered panel titled "Welcome to 1Password". 2 options: "I'm a new 1Password user" or "I've used 1Password before". When I tap on that second option, I'm offered the following choices: "Sync using iCloud", "Sync using Dropbox", "Wi-Fi Sync" and "Transfer through iTunes". I then tap the first option (iCloud) and the message is now "No data found on iCloud"...

I made sure that I was using the right iCloud account. I even deleted it from the iPad and re-created it but to no avail. I did that because on all my devices (Mac, iPhone), my account is "@icloud.com" but on the iPad it showed as "@mac.com" (my original account)... it is now corrected and I have the @icloud.com account setup everywhere. I also know that iCloud data is working on the iPad mini with other applications (Soulver, Pages, Numbers, etc) but still no luck with 1Password :(

I will try to completely wipe out the iPad mini and start from scratch. I'll keep you posted!
    Thanks for helping!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aversini,

Thanks for providing those details! I'm hoping that the change of your iCloud account from the @mac.com to the @icloud.com, combined with a little kickstart as mentioned in post #5 above gets everything working for you. Please remember that 1Password cannot automatically initiate a sync using iCloud. We have to wait for the sync to work its own magic. So if you are re-setting your device, please wait at least 20 minutes to give iCloud time to sync.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this gets you up and running!

• aversini
    aversini
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan, I just restarted the mini. I just setup my iCloud account. Are you saying that I now should wait for 20 minutes before installing 1Password? Or should I install it and then wait for 20 minutes?

• aversini
    aversini
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan,

Well, iCloud sync is still not working :((

I restored the mini to a blank slate (not from backup). Then I setup iCloud.com and waited for 20 minutes. I then went ahead and installed 1Password and waited another 20 minutes. After all that, I finally opened 1Password, and the result is the same: cannot find iCloud data on the mini...

Not sure what I can do else to help diagnose the issue?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi @aversini,

I'm so sorry to hear that things are still not working for you! Let's try resetting iCloud sync entirely:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle iCloud to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

• aversini
    aversini
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hello @Megan, quick update to let you know that I followed your steps but the iPad mini was still not able to see my iCloud data :((

I gave up and switched back to Dropbox (I did use it before, but because it's blocked at work, I wanted to switch to iCloud...)

Dropbox syncing works like a charm... go figure...

Thanks for your help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aversini,

I'm so sorry to hear that iCloud has been such trouble for you, although I'm glad to hear that Dropbox at least is behaving. Please let us know if you would like to do any further investigations into why this is misbehaving ... or if you run into any further snags - we're here to help!

• scottz
    scottz
    Community Member
    Options

Is anyone else continuing to have ongoing sync challenges with iCloud? The number of "items" I have in 1Password never matches across my Mac, my iPhone and iPad. I've followed all of the suggestions in this thread, all to no avail. Should I just switch to Dropbox?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @scottz,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having difficulties with iCloud sync lately. Our developers have been working hard to squash some sync related bugs, and things should be behaving better now. Let's try re-setting iCloud sync and see if that gets things matched up:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle iCloud to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

This discussion has been closed.