LastPass CSV exports to webpage & won't import to 1Password?

Options
stuckfly
stuckfly
Community Member

Using LastPass Safari plugin 3.0.19 for Mac, the Export to LastPass .csv option just displays the text data as a webpage. Copying the text to TextEdit and saving to .txt then changing extension to .csv allows import to Numbers (so maybe it's a valid .csv file?), but importing to 1Password only makes the display blink and nothing else happens. What am I doing wrong or not doing right?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi, @stuckfly.

I'm sorry you're having trouble importing your LastPass data into 1Password 4. Which File Format and Import As options for File > Import… have you selected?

Instead of copying the Export to LastPass text from the browser page to TextEdit, could you try saving it directly to a file using File > Save As… (Command-S) with Format: Page Source option selected and see if you're able to import it? It may be necessary to change the filename extension to .csv.

If that doesn't work, make sure your CSV input file has LF (Line feed) newlines and is in UTF-8 format. For more about that refer to: this post (#15).

Please let me know how that goes. Thanks!

• lsnow11
    lsnow11
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue on OSX Mavericks using 1Password 4.1.1 downloaded from the website. I'm trying to import a LastPass export. I get the "0 imported, 0 failed" message. I've saved the file with UTF-8 encoding and tried linebreak any number of times. Any other suggestions?

• kathleenceo
    kathleenceo
    Community Member
    Options

I can't import my lastpass file to 1Password for Mac. I'm on 10.9.1. This really should not require the kind of technical workaround described above. Even when I save the files as .csv files, they show up as "greyed out" when I try to import them into 1Password.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @lsnow11 and @kathleenceo.

I'm sorry LastPass CSV importing with 1Password 4 is also being troublesome for you.

During importing, can you see any messages from 1Password logged in the Console app?

Please check if any fields of your input file contain these special characters:

double quote: "
    single quote: '
    long dash: –
    backslash: \

At least those are known to interfere with importing, especially in password fields.

A "divide and conquer" approach can be used to isolate problems in your input file. For example, first try importing just the first few lines of the file. If that fails it's probably a general issue. If it succeeds, then try importing half of the input file. If failure, then half of that. Etc.

If you can create and email us a redacted sample input file that fails to import (plus a link to this topic and your forum username for cross referencing) we can better help you find a solution.

Even when I save the files as .csv files, they show up as "greyed out" when I try to import them into 1Password.

Have you tried selecting a file that's "greyed out"? On Mavericks, selectable files can appear not to be.

We do apologize for the inconvenience of this and appreciate your help during the process of finding and fixing the bugs. Any redacted input files that trigger import failure are especially useful. Thank you!

• lsnow11
    lsnow11
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

@oversoul, thanks, the special characters were the problem for me. now if only it hadn't put my passwords in the username fields and my usernames in the website fields...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @lsnow11.

I'm glad you've made progress with importing your LastPass data. It sounds like shifting the fields of the input file and reimporting could help get them mapped into the correct 1P4 data fields. Is there anything inaccurate or unclear under the LastPass section of this article that can be improved?

How can I import data from another application?

• lsnow11
    lsnow11
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk that did the trick, things look fine now.

the doc isn't unclear, though the feature still needs some work...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great, @lsnow11. Thanks for letting me know.

I've been filing and updating 1P4 importer issues in our tracker, emphasizing which ones still need the most attention.

• teapoet9
    teapoet9
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hello, I'm getting pretty frustrated. I've been working on this for several hours and not having any luck. I don't have lots of time to dedicate to this. Your app was recommended by some colleagues, but I'd just as soon as stay with LastPass if I have to spend much more time on this.

Like the others above, I'm also trying to import a LastPass .csv file with no success. I'm running Mavericks on a late 2013 MBP. Experiencing the identical issues stated above: "Even when I save the files as .csv files, they show up as "greyed out" when I try to import them into 1Password." and "0 imported, 0 failed".

I tried your workaround of opening in TextEdit and ensuring LF newlines and UTF-8 format, then resaving as a .csv. Both importing options as general .csv and LastPass .csv provide nothing. I noted the error messages above.

Incidentally, my filename has no odd characters in is. I'm using filenames like "qwerty.csv" or other random letters on the keyboard.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello again, @teapoet9.

Now following up here instead of there. :)

I'm sorry you've been frustrated with importing your LastPass CSV data into 1Password 4. Quite understandable since there's no obvious indicator of the reason it's failing. Which version of 1P4 are you running?

"Even when I save the files as .csv files, they show up as "greyed out"

We've got a bug report in our tracker about valid, selectable files for importing mistakenly appearing that way on Mavericks. Presumably you've selected and opened the file anyway, then encountered:

"0 imported, 0 failed"

To determine what's causing this problem and find you a solution please create and email a small redacted sample input file that's failing to import, plus a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum at agilebits dot com. Instead of editing the CSV file it may be easier to duplicate some items in LastPass, redact those, then export.

Thanks for your help and patience resolving this!

• teapoet9
    teapoet9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - just sent it along. I was able to redact using Text Wrangler. I hope that's not a problem. I tested the issue using my newly redacted file and I receive the same errors.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @teapoet9.

It looks like you may have sent it from different email address than you're registered with on this forum. Can you send me a Private Message with that address? Thanks!

• teapoet9
    teapoet9
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes the email was bounced back undeliverable. Am I to understand that there is a 'plus sign' between support and forum in the email address? BTW I used the address associated with my account - the one on file.

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got your email with the CSV sample, @teapoet9 -- thanks!

Yup, the '+' (plus sign) in the support+forum part of the address is literal. Wikipedia's Email address - Address tags describes its usage.

• misamee
    misamee
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here.

Even if the issue is with unaccepted characters, I can't replace them from my side, as they are part of my usernames and/or password, not to mention that the exported file has more than 1000 lines.

I've just bought this software for OSX, iOS and Android and finding that I can't really import data from Lastpass, because you can't properly escape characters.

Why are you asking user to "fix" the issue, while it should be fixed on your side?

Do you understand that now I have a (paid) app that I can't use and that I must stick on Lastpass because of this issue?

Please don't just answer you have some ticket in your issue tracker (that, as far as I can see, is not even public, so we can't monitor it): just fix it.

Also, how giving a CSV sample could help? Unless you ask me to import one line at the time (that wouldn't be much different than just recreating them manually), with so many entries if would be impossible for me to find which line(s) is causing the problem, and therefore give you any CVS sample.

Thanks.

• okechief
    okechief
    Community Member
    Options

I too am a victim of not being able to import from LastPass to 1Password. LastPass does not export to a CSV file but to a webpage. I tried several workarounds but 1Password would not import. (Importing into Excel, saving as CSV and the tries go on and on...)

I just purchased 1Password for my iPad and my Mac... Not sure that it was money well spent at this point. According to the discussion above it sounds like you must jump through hoops and be a computer programmer to do what 1Password should be able to do for the price you pay.

1Password should be able to import from what LastPass "does" export. If there are special characters that are not acceptable, then during the import process a log should be able to tell you what passwords/sites were not imported because of those issues. Then a person can fix those sites individually.

Like #16 I have hundreds of sites that need to be imported. I do not have the time to edit some sort of file to make 1Password work for me. Nor do I want to have to visit each one of my sites and create a new login/password for each of those.

Disappointed.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @misamee,

I'm sorry 1Password is failing to import your LastPass data.

The Definition of the CSV Format from this RFC implies why it can be a problematic format.

RFC 4180 - Common Format and MIME Type for Comma-Separated Values (CSV) Files

While there are various specifications and implementations for the CSV format (for ex. [4], [5], [6] and [7]), there is no formal specification in existence, which allows for a wide variety of interpretations of CSV files.

Inter-vendor incompatibilities can exist with CSV data being imported/exported, which doesn't always like adhering to the reworded Robustness principle (aka Postel's law):

"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"

Which version of 1Password are you running? The 4.2 update has CSV importer improvements addressing issues reported in this and other topics.

And information here may be useful for making pre-import adjustments to CSV data:

CSV importing guidelines

Ideally that would never be required and in many cases already isn't.

Please let us know if there's any other way we can assist you at getting your LastPass data imported into 1Password.

• misamee
    misamee
    Community Member
    Options

So, after struglling for hours to find a solution on my own, here is what I suggest anyone to do, since agilebits doesn't seem to want to spend time to simply handle this programmatically.

1. Export your LastPass CSV file
    2. Upload it to a Google Drive account
    3. From Google Drive web app, right click the file, select "Open with" then "Google Sheets"
    4. Reorder and rename columns according to what is explained here.
    5. Go to File -> Download As... -> Comma-Separated Values (.csv, current sheet)
    6. In 1Password, import the just downloaded file

That just work. Again, it shouldn't be an issue to make 1Password take care of this. It's clear that there is nothing wrong in the csv file (at least in mine), if Google Drive can open it without any issue.
    The only issue seem to be with the column order and name, and this should be really something you, as a company, should be able to handle without any problem, but apparently you prefer to let the user do your work.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @misamee‌

I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get things imported here. I sincerely apologize that it was such a process for you though! I'd be happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers - we do want to ensure that import is as seamless as possible for users.

If there's anything further that we can help with, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

• misamee
    misamee
    Community Member
    Options

In this case apologies are useless and anyway not accepted anyway.

Neither me or any other user affected by this issue was supposed to face this kind of issue.

This is not a bug, or something that developer didn't notice: this is actually something you didn't care about!

You're pretending to provide a feature that simply doesn't work, and you know it.

So you either remove the "LastPass" import feature, or you just make it work.

Now you even know how to do it - and I won't neither see my name in the credits, or get paid for the work I did and that was supposed to be done by your paid developers! -, so just make it work, instead of making user think that they can import LastPass data, when they can not.

Thanks.

• jadlin
    jadlin
    Community Member
    Options

I finally convinced my sister to switch from LastPass, and while I'm glad to hear there's an import process for her passwords, I really hope there are directions on the installer - because I didn't find any on the AgileBits website.

The only page which does reference this, How can I import data from another application? doesn't have any directions. Also, if you're looking for feedback on clarity, may I suggest cleaning up this sentence which takes up the greater part of the LastPass paragraph:

1Password does not have a direct counterpart to LastPass’s form filling profiles, which are comprised of data represented by multiple types in 1Password; however, the import script will break the form fill profiles into its constituent types in 1Password so that if you had bank account details, credit card, identity, social security number, etc. in LastPass’s form fill profile, 1Password will create entries in each of those vault categories so your data lands in just the right place in 1Password.

That's a serious run-on sentence -- and even more important, it's brain-numbingly hard to understand. I suggest something along the lines of:

While 1Password and LastPass use different labels for the various pieces of your logins and personal information, our import script does it's best to translate. Items like names, addresses, bank account details, credit card numbers, and your social security number will all go into their appropriate places in your new vault. Any pieces 1Password doesn't recognize go into the 'Notes' section, so nothing is lost.

The arrangement may look a bit different from your LastPass 'profile,' but it's all there. You can start the import process when you install 1Password by clicking on the blah, blah, blah button, or at any time by following the manual import instructions (link)

Then add a link to misamee's 6 step process for anyone having trouble.

(Assuming that's what you meant to say.)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

Thank you for reporting issues you've had importing LastPass data with 1Password 4. We really do value your helpful feedback and suggestions for improving the importer, its documentation, and the overall process.

• adamski72
    adamski72
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I am having a total nightmare with this.

I have just purchased the new 1password4 product and cannot import my csv into 1password - the fields are in the correct order in the csv as per:

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/import.html#csv--comma-separated-values

I am able to import but the data in the application is displaying the data incorrectly:

entry name is mapped to url

Username is mapped to url

password is mapped to username

• I am very disappointed that this is suck a headache and not at all a seamless process.

Can somebody please help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @adamski72,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with importing your CSV data into 1Password 4. What you've described sounds like symptoms of an unfortunate CSV importer bug that afflicts version 4.3. Are you running the Mac App Store version or the Agile Web Store version of 4.3? And do you currently have any 1Password data that needs to be saved? The bug's been fixed in the beta version, if you'd like to try that instead of waiting for the 4.3.1 update. Thanks in advance for the answers to help get this sorted out for you.

• adamski72
    adamski72
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me oversoul. I have the App store version 4.3.

I have no 1password data that needs to be saved. How do I get the beta version?

Thanks.

• adamski72
    adamski72
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried the import with the beta version and the same thing happened.

I have the fields in the .csv in the following column order:

title location username password notes

I can PM you a sceeny of what the app looks like if this helps.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @adamski72,

Now that you're running the beta make sure you've disabled 1Password mini for the MAS version, explained in the Turn off 1Password mini and quit 1Password section of this guide:

Migrate from MAS to web store version

It's fine to skip the rest since you're not keeping any data from the MAS version.

If the MAS version was installed when you ran the beta version it copied the purchase receipt to use as the license. You won't need a separate license. Select 1Password 4 > License… from the main app menu to check that.

Also: select 1Password 4 > Preferences… from the app menu, select the Updates tab, and make sure the Include Beta Builds option is enabled while you're running the beta.

Then you should be good to go with that beta. :)

Here's a one-line sample that you can download to do a simple CSV importing test with:

myitem.csv

After selecting File > Import… from the app menu choose these import options:

Open the myitem.csv file and an item like should be created:

I have the fields in the .csv in the following column order:

>

title location username password notes

Try this column order for LastPass (.csv) / Login import options:

website,username,password,other,title

I can PM you a sceeny of what the app looks like if this helps.

If you're still stuck, can you upload a redacted sample of a file that fails to import (e.g. to Dropbox) and send me a private message with a download link? That would be helpful; thanks! :)

• adamski72
    adamski72
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Most excellent support.

I will reply back with my findings, bit busy for the next couple of days but I will try after the weekend, thanks

• adamski72
    adamski72
    Community Member
    Options

I have just tried this and it has worked!

Brilliant support.

Shall I stay on the beta or go back to the bull version.

• adamski72
    adamski72
    Community Member
    Options

Doh, I mean "full version"

This discussion has been closed.