Does 1Password Send the Master Password Among Devices?

Options
joeholmes
joeholmes
Community Member

That is, does the master password I use to open 1Password on my Mac and on my iPad go through iCloud or Dropbox or wifi, or is it always kept only locally on each device.

I ask because I'd like to make it a super-secure password if it's out there in the world, but if it's on my Mac at home, it can be merely strong.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

When you sync your 1Password data to your iPad, you must enter the master password you used on your Mac to decrypt the data. Although technically 1Password doesn't send your master password anywhere (because it actually doesn't know your password), your master password is used to decrypt your 1Password data on all of your synced devices. So it sounds to me, based on this, that you want to create a "super-secure" master password.

Your master password is the key to decrypting your data, so it should be as strong as you can make it while keeping it easy to remember. Here's some advice on creating very strong and memorable passwords using something called diceware: http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/21/toward-better-master-passwords

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member
    Options

Curious... I recently changed my master password on my mac and was expecting to have to use the same password on my iPhone and iPad as they were sync'd using dropbox - but that did not seem to be the case - they still use the old password - unless I manually change the master password on them as well.

• joeholmes
    joeholmes
    Community Member
    Options

ethansisson -- thanks. I'll keep my password super strong!
    davegarratt -- I had the same experience. That's why I wondered about this issue.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

See an authoritative explanation of why the master password doesn't sync between devices at post #24 in this thread.

Stephen

• RMSko
    RMSko
    Community Member
    Options

With a strong Master Password, isn't it a pain to add the password when accessing the app via an iPhone?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RMSko,

You're right, random alphanumeric passwords (like those generated by our password generator) can be tricky to type in on iOS keyboards. However, there is a great option for easier-to-type, easy-to-remember and tougher-to-crack passwords! Check out our post Towards Better Master Passwords to find out how to create these passwords. :)

This discussion has been closed.