iCloud Sync discrepancies

Options
msidoric
msidoric
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

Background: Latest 1Password 4 Mac installed on two computers under OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks -- iCloud sync successfully enabled. Initial sync indicated both machines synced properly.

Problem: As I have added items to 1Password, items do not appear to be syncing properly. iOS devices sync flawlessly -- however the two Macs do not agree on items or item totals.

Questions:
1. How can I unsync from iCloud, and yet retain data on each machine
2. How can I merge the two differing sets of data, so that I have a single 1Password 'bible' that is complete?
3. When importing an item - how is a 'duplicate' item handled?
4. How can I re-enable sync so that the two Mac computers can properly sync over iCloud? [read all KB instructions and forum posts]
5. What conditions could cause an item to NOT sync properly?

Details: MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks
iMac 27 OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks
iCloud sync enabled and working properly
1Password 4 for Mac 4.1.3 on both machines

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @msidoric,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with iCloud! Let's see what we can do to get you sorted out here. The first thing to check is to confirm that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices, just to make sure that your Macs aren't syncing to different databases. :) Now, let's reset iCloud sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle iCloud to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

1. How can I unsync from iCloud, and yet retain data on each machine

Because 1Password 4 stores your data locally as well as in the sync location, disabling sync as in the instructions above will leave your database intact on each machine.

1. How can I merge the two differing sets of data, so that I have a single 1Password 'bible' that is complete?

When you re-enable sync, 1Password should merge your databases.

1. When importing an item - how is a 'duplicate' item handled?

1Password will use the modified date to determine which of the duplicates is the more recent entry, and merge accordingly. If the modified date on both entries is the same, 1Password will create a 'conflicts' category within the entry that holds the conflicting data so that you can sort it out later.

1. How can I re-enable sync so that the two Mac computers can properly sync over iCloud? [read all KB instructions and forum posts]

See the instructions above :)

1. What conditions could cause an item to NOT sync properly?

iCloud is still a relatively new sync solution for us, and Apple has not made the inner workings of iCloud available to developers. So we are slightly limited in the troubleshooting that we can do here. One of the things that we have learned is that patience is important. The "Wait 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices" step is crucial. With Dropbox we can initiate a sync any time an entry is changed. iCloud sync occurs on its own schedule, so changes may not immediately propagate between devices. It is good practice to edit your entries using only one device at a time (or use one device for doing all edits), so you don't inadvertently edit the same entry on multiple devices and create conflicts.

I hope the reset gets things syncing smoothly for you, but if you are still experiencing difficulties, please let us know and we'll do some further investigating.

• yzztik
    yzztik
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar issue that started last week, but before I try your suggested solution above, I wanted to confirm it is the same thing.

I have 1password installed on 2 macbook airs (work & home), my iPhone and my iPad mini. All are connected to the same iCloud account and have been happily syncing until 2/4 when I noticed items I saved on my work computer did not sync to the other 3 devices.

Should I follow the same steps above?

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yzztik,

It sounds to me like resetting sync could give iCloud the kickstart it needs. Because your data is stored locally in 1Password 4 as well as in the sync source, you don't need to worry about messing with your data here - but you could always run an extra back-up before doing so, just in case.

If resetting iCloud does not get things syncing properly, please let me know and we'll investigate further!

• lopezcalling
    lopezcalling
    Community Member
    Options

OK, Megan, this comment you made really confuses me: "It is good practice to edit your entries using only one primary device, so you don't inadvertently edit the same entry on multiple devices and create conflicts." What's the point of syncing if you can't edit entries on any of the computers you're syncing? Say I was traveling with my laptop and I wanted to change or edit something. Like for example Apple periodically disables my password and makes me change it. Say that happened when I was traveling and I had to change it right away. I couldn't wait to get back home to do it. You're saying it's a trouble vector if I change the p/w on my laptop? Why should I even bother syncing then?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lopezcalling,

I think "only one primary device" in @Megan's comment meant to imply "only one device at a time".

Thanks for bringing this up. Your confusion is understandable if "good practice" would be limited to editing items on only a single "primary" device. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lopezcalling,

I apologize for the confusion. I've edited my previous comment to be a bit more clear.

What's the point of syncing if you can't edit entries on any of the computers you're syncing?

Syncing allows you to have your data with you on all devices at all times, and that's just pretty great. As I mentioned above, the tricky part comes in if sync gets disconnected or, as sometimes happens with iCloud, a sync doesn't happen immediately. Because we cannot initiate a sync with iCloud, you could edit an item on your laptop, then open the same item on your iOS device and see that it hasn't changed (yet) . If you were to then edit that item on your iOS device, you could be creating conflicts.

I do hope this helps to clear things up a bit. :)

This discussion has been closed.