Saving complete forms - does not seem to work

Options
esquared
esquared
Community Member

I know that the instructions to "save a new login manually" are supposed to save all fields for population when returning, but it doesn't seem to work for me. In fact, all it will save is "username", which incidentally, it guesses wrong.

I have several examples of this, most notably where I'm trying to fill a complete form with information. It's sort of like setting up an identity, but I have additional fields I'd like to save. If I fill out the form once, I'd like to be able to save it to 1Password.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @esquared,

I apologize for the confusion here. The 'Save new Login' instructions that you mention are specifically for saving Logins (usernames and passwords). These instructions won't work for saving entire forms. If you could send along a few examples of the forms that you are hoping to save using this technique, I'd be happy to pass this along to our developers as a feature request. :)

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

ANY form should be save-able. It used to be this way with 1Password Ver 3. You could fill out a form and all the fields would be saved into 1Password. That is much more useful, esp for some sites which have different login information, such as banks, which periodically ask you questions that are not passwords.

As for a concrete example, just think about any form that you'd like to fill out over and over. Obvious examples: contest entry forms.

Perhaps a not so simple question: Why not save all fields? What was the rationale to remove this feature?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi @esquared‌,

For sites with different Login information, such as banks, the manual save instructions you mentioned above usually work. If you run across a bank or another tricky site that doesn't behave, again I'd be happy to help troubleshoot if you provide the URL.

1Password was designed to help folks fill in logins, credit card, and billing/shipping forms. These forms conform to a base set of standards that are easier for our software to fill consistently. Other form types, such as a contest entry form, can very wildly and would not likely allow us to provide the experience our customers expect.

I'd be happy to mention to our developers that you'd like the ability to save forms (such as Identities) as well as Logins in 1Password 4, but this was not a feature that was available in 1Password 3. You might have some success creating an Identity with the information that you regularly need for contest entries. Then the next time you encounter such a form, you can use ⌥⌘\ to open 1Password Mini and select your Identity. Not all forms fill correctly, but our filling gurus are constantly working to improve this feature. Again, if you notice particular forms that do not fill correctly, feel free to pass them along so we can run our own tests. :)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• Ron Miller
    Ron Miller
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with esquared. I miss that functionality a lot. They are also right, 1Password guesses the wrong field often. When it used to provide all the fields, we could glean other info we needed (like security questions or what email address I used). Plus, when it did guess wrong, I knew the correct info was already in 1Password and I could clean up the auto login stuff later. This new "feature" of only saving the user name and password is a serious downgrade.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi Ron,

1Password should be able to save all the fields if you save a new Login manually. If there are any sites giving you trouble, please let us know the URLs and we can investigate. :)

This discussion has been closed.