Closing Firefox does not lock 1Password !

Options
Cornholio
Cornholio
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

A few times recently I have noticed that when shutting down my browser - Firefox 27.0.1 - and then reopening it, the 1Password browser bar tool is still active and does not require me to enter the master password again. My Firefox settings clear out cache, browser history as a matter of course, but 1Password used to close as well. I have only noticed it in the past few days, so no idea how long this has been going on. I use a Mac and my 1Password version number is 4.1.3. Surely this completely invalidates its security and usefulness ?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi, @Cornholio.

Thanks for writing about this issue. What you've noticed is correct and the intended behavior.

1Password 4 is either fully locked or unlocked, adjustable with these Auto-lock options under the Security tab of Preferences:

There are no separate locking options for the main application, 1Password mini, and browser extensions.

Surely this completely invalidates its security and usefulness ?

That's not the case because of 1Password remaining unlocked when quitting a browser. As long as you are at your computer and in control of it, 1Password can be safe in an unlocked state. It shouldn't matter whether or not your browser is open.

Something like a Lock when web browser is quit option could be added. It does raise an issue of what to do when multiple browsers are running, which extends it to being an option for every browser with a 1Password extension. Plus there are cases when it's desirable for 1Password to remain unlocked when quitting browsers, e.g. for followup access to 1Password mini. The added complexity can outweigh the benefit. But new conditions/options for 1Password auto-locking are still under consideration and we did add Lock when fast user switching in 4.1.2/4.1.3. :)

Quitting 1Password mini will force 1Password to be locked when the main app or mini is reopened, or an extension is activated. It's probably more convenient simply to use the Control-Option-Command-L shortcut from mini to do the locking, even outside the browser, e.g.:

• Option-Command-\ (Show 1Password mini)
    • Control-Option-Command-L (Lock)

There's probably a way to combine that with quitting Firefox using an Alfred workflow, Keyboard Maestro macro, etc.

I hope that's helpful. Please let us know if you have other questions or concerns. Thanks!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Plus there are cases when it's desirable for 1Password to remain unlocked when quitting browsers, e.g. for followup access to 1Password mini

When I need to enter the password for my Apple ID (such as when buying from the App Store) I usually paste it it from 1PW Mini, even if no browsers are open.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danco,

Thanks for the great example! You're right, we made this decision to make 1Password useful for apps outside the browser where you might need to enter a username and password. I find this most useful for my Minecraft account. :)

• Cornholio
    Cornholio
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk‌
    Thanks for the clarification.

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of @sjk, you're welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.