Key storage and encryption location?

Options
leighno5
leighno5
Community Member

Hi - I'm interested in this product, but I'd like to know where the encryption keys are actually stored. Does each device store its own key (that is presumably generated independently on each device but calculated to be the same key when I enter the master password)? Where does encryption/decryption actually occur? If I'm syncing something in Dropbox, what is stored there? The encrypted vault? And then it periodically pushes to Dropbox update (encrypted) copies of the vault? Can't seem to find this info. on the site or via forums search, but perhaps I'm just searching wrong.

Finally, there appears to be educational licensing available for Mac and Windows - what about iOS? Thanks,

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @leighno5‌

You can read about how 1Password encryption works here:

The continuing evolution of security in 1Password 4

If you're interested in reading more, we have a great series of posts written by Jeff, our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, which you can read on our blog:

Jeff's security posts

Finally, there appears to be educational licensing available for Mac and Windows - what about iOS? Thanks,

iOS apps are sold exclusively by Apple in the iTunes App Store. Unfortunately as far as I'm aware Apple does not offer any sort of educational discount.

I hope that helps.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.