Confused Re keychain and vault locations

Options
eltel
eltel
Community Member

1PW4 for MAC Agilebits version.

Apologies if this is tedious or naive but I thought I understood this once - clearly I don't.

I always thought that the 1Password.agilekeychain in user/application support/1Password/ was the where all login data was stored. Clearly it isn't as I can remove that file completely and yet still open an up to date version of my data. I don't use any syncing and note that the keychain file is only occasionally updated according to the "date modified" and certainly not every time I make a change. Ordinarily this wouldn't bother me but there are a couple of questions.

Today I needed to open an old version of the data from March from a Timemachine backup, clicking on the keychain file opened1PW but with the current data even with the default keychain location empty - so my question is how can an old keychain from a Timemachine backup be opened? ( I didn't need to restore all data just look at one old login.) There seemed no way I could open this old keychain.

Since 1PW3 I have always used an Automator backup programme to copy the keychain from it's default location to a USB stick so that I can use it on 1PW on a Windows laptop without the need to store any data on the laptop, and also to avoid cloud syncing. Is this still likely to capture the latest data in the keychain if that's not the default data store any longer?

Many thanks

Comments

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member
    Options

Bump - anyone from Agilebits help me please?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There's a discussion in this thread which may help you.

Stephen

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen - it goes someway but I'd still like to be confident on how to open backed up data from Timemachine without doing a full restore. Presumably one would need to copy the agile keychain and the corresponding SQL database back into their respective directories after first manually backing up the current version elsewhere of course.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @eltel,

What happens if you simply double-click on the backed up .agilekeychain file? This should give you the option to open it as a secondary vault in 1Password 4.

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks JasperP. If I do that 1PW opens with the latest login data shown in the sidebar, not that contained in the old keychain and offers to create a new vault with a new master password. Is this correct? I was expecting to see the old login data in the sidebar from the backed up keychain (I have shut down !PW mini before doing this as well.)

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @eltel,

Please give this a try:

• Open 1Password.
    • Locate your .agilekeychain file that contains the backed up data, then double-click on it.
    • You should be prompted to add a new secondary vault, like this:

• Enter a name for the vault, and the master password for the data in the Agile Keychain.

• A new secondary vault will be created, and you can retrieve the necessary data from it.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks JasperP - got it now.

• Jasper
    Options

Awesome! Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.