Is there a way to delete all note fields in all saved entries?

Options
Grant Barrett
Grant Barrett
Community Member
  1. Some time during the last six years a version of 1Password created exact duplicates of every entry I had at the time and added note fields to the duplicates that have this:

0000-00-00 00:00:00

1. Since I never -- NEVER -- use note fields, I'm looking for a bulk way to remove the contents of all note field in all entries. Is this possible?

2. I then want to merge all the duplicates based on a match of website, username, and password fields ONLY. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Grant,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, there is no way to bulk edit entries. However, there are a few features in 1Password that can make getting organized a bit easier.

1. Smart Folders: If the note fields are the same for all entries, you can use a Smart Folder to find them all. If you know that they're duplicates of proper entries, you can delete them directly from the search.
    • Go to File > New Smart Folder
    • Choose the terms Notes is 0000-00-00 00:00:00 0 0
    • Select 'Save' and title the folder 'Note field' (or something slightly more clever)
    1. Security Audit: You can find this feature in the sidebar. Simply select the 'Duplicate Passwords' option to view all the items that have the same password. This is generally used for upgrading your security if you've used the same password on multiple sites, but it can also be useful in detecting duplicate Login entries. When you see duplicated entries, simply delete the one with the note field.

I hope these options help you get your database organized, if you have any further questions, we'd be happy to help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Would it be safe to export to PIF format, munge the PIF file to delete this field in each entry (always or only when it matched the pattern), and then import the PIF file?

This discussion has been closed.