Only Unidirectional Sync with File Sync

Options
Christoph
Christoph
Community Member

On my mac i have 3 users, and i want to synch some Vaults between them. As i had a lot of trouble with one shared database with my former tool keepassx, i thought syncing with a shared folder can be a solution.

But it looks like that the changed passwords are only going from the user, that has initiated the sync to the other ones, (not in the other direction).

a) Is this correct, or is it an error (i am using 1password 4 Version 4.2.2 (422001))
b) how can i merge my files now ? (after manually transferring keepassx to 1password i do not like manual processes any longer)

Christoph

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Christoph‌

Thanks for choosing 1Password to keep your digital life secure and organized! Now, it sounds to me like you might be having a permissions issue here. To get everything on the same page, let's reset sync, and ensure that all users have read and write access to the shared folder.

• On each user account, go to File > Backup and create a new backup, just in case. :)

• On each user account, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from the Folder and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac.

• On the first user account, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Folder Sync. Select your desired folder and 1Password will create a new 1Password.agilekeychain file there.

• On the other user accounts, locate the shared folder in Finder and ensure that both read and write permissions are enabled.

• Open 1Password 4 for Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Folder Sync. Click on the 1Password.agilekeychain file inside the shared folder. 1Password will offer to merge the existing data. Confirm.

This should get all your user accounts on the same page. If you are still seeing discrepancies in data after resetting sync, please let me know and we'll investigate further!

• Christoph
    Christoph
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

thanks, that helped a lot. The main issue was, that the user folder "For All" did not hat write rights "For All", and to change that not only for the folder, but for all files in.
    After that it worked fine. After giving access rights to one user, it was enough to disconnect the sync and reconnect it.

Christoph

• Jasper
    Options

Hi Christoph,

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.